I have been spotlighting quite a few times in the White Mountains in the Summer and we usually see a lot of Big bulls and quite a few mule deer bucks. Do any of you have any good advise on when and where are some good times of the year and places to go spotlighting?

Guest Ernesto C

Hey treestandman what are you doing spotlighting?hunting rattlersnakes or what?Becuase if you are using a spot light you better not have a fire arm with you or in your truck,you dont want any trouble.

Hunting racoons? or doing wildlife count? what project you are working?Scouting?

I'm just trying to figure out why to spotlight,help me please. :)

God bless.

Ernesto C.

Spotlighting is one of my favorite pastimes. I do it because I enjoy viewing wildlife, nothing more. If I see a monster buck while doing it I may go back and scout the area another day but I just enjoy seeing animals. I have seen bears, bobcats, 3 mountain lions, beavers, badgers, bighorns, you name it.

Spot lighting is fun. It can give you a good chance to see some nice animals. I do it every chance I get to. I will also say ernesto is right you better not even have more than a pocket knife in you truck. I had a friend that is a police man required by law to carry an off duty weapon at al times. The game and fish sited him for it. We were lucky to not get in bigger trouble. They kill so many elk and deer up in that country poaching that it is not much fun to spotlight anymore because you get pulled over and searched almost every time now.

Guest Ernesto C

And out of those 5 or 6 times,how many times you had a gun with you or in your truck?

Please don get me wrong,I'm not against you in any way;there is always a fisrt time for everything.

I personally don't know if it will be ethical. I guess is a personal choice because I dont know if it will be consider a "distubing of wildlife" But if the law allow it I guess you are correct.

Thank you.

Ernesto C.

Ernesto,

I am a law abiding citizen and do not carry any kind of weapons in my vehicle when I go spotlighting and never have. Yes, you could say that it is disturbing to the wildlife but so is hiking, hunting and camping. Spotlighting them allows you to see nocturnal bucks that would in the daytime be very difficult to spot. Not only that but it is much easier to find them in that as the spotlight hits there eyes, the eyes will stand out and seem as if they are glowing. You ought to try it some time.:unsure:

Don't quote me on this but I believe that very few of the poaching incidents are from spotlighting. Arizona Guide is right though, In the White Mountains area, there have been a LOT of poaching incidents.

Guest Ernesto C

Yea I will like to try,I'm just trying to learn. I guess I can't say that is good or bad until I try it.

I never see anybody hiking at nigth and all the activities related to camping are done during day light hours but I will also give it a try and I let you know.

:unsure: Hahahaha did I'm giving you a hard time treestandman?hahaha :) I'm just joking buddy God bless you.

Oh men is application time yet?? :)

Ernesto C.

I have spotlighted a monster bull . And he just kept on eating . I watched him for about 45 minutes and decided to move onm and find another one. I have a spot light that is rechargable so I can go down to a couple of meadows that are out in the middle of nowhere. It is fun and ethical. If it bothers the elk they move and when you leave they come back out and eat again. I will tell you that I have noticed that they don't stick around as long anymore for you to stay and look long. that alone will tell you that they are shot at as much during the dark as the day.

You would be sick if you knew how many elk are poached every month up there. alot of it is done in the dark. In eager every year highschool kids have a contest. Each point on the bull counts as a point. the one with the most points at the end of the week. is the champion.

I have lots of family that live up there . My cousin lost his guide service because his brother got caught shooting Five six point bulls in one night. He was in his brothers truck. He was also a guide for his brother. They told me when the kids get busted a new group joins the game.At that rate you can only guess at how many elk go down each week. I have seen over 10 dead cows in one day. six of them in one meadow.

It is fun to do and I will keep doing it until they make it against the law.

So spot on treestandman. And give it a try Ernesto.

I should say I mean spotlighting is fun. Not poaching elk.

WOW, I had no idea that that much poaching went on. I am related to a lot of people in that town also and I know a few of the teenagers that were caught poaching in the past. The Fish and game hands out a pretty nice reward for giving info on poachers, I ought to go undercover up there to see if I cant score me some big cash.

Yeah I have spotlighted for bulls when scouting. My family has been fortunate enough to pull elk tags in the White Mountains a few times over the last 5 or 6 years (I gotta big family). We never have bows or guns with us and find that it disturbs elk very little. Sometimes it seems the only rut activity is during the night on good moons and spotlighting can reveal some monster bulls that we would have no idea that lived in that country other then from spotlighting and sheds. Generally we do it before season and usually the elk tend to rut in the same cienagas even after being spotlighted one night. I am not sure that it has ever done us any good as most of the good bulls you see at night are long gone by daylight buried and bedded in the thick stuff, but it is nice to see what is out there.

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

Okay guys, spotlighting sounds like a fun thing to do if you have time to kill some evening.

What sort of spotlight do you have? Do you use any light filters? I assume it is done from the vehicle primarily? I saw a spotlight in an ad recently with 10 million candle power! I think that is almost daylight! Maybe have to get me one of them and join you out in the hills. If I am not carefull, people in town might think the sun is coming up when I use it though. :unsure:

More info...

AZ4life

that one should do the trick it is fun to see the game that will be out.

the elk rut is the best you will see some bulls that will just about make

a grown man go to tears.