Sign in to follow this  
Perkele!

Favorite Call

A box I bought from the late Marvin Robbins at the ISE show in 09. Walnut over walnut.

No turkey vocalization than can't be made on a box. Cuts the wind and covers big country better than any other call type or can be dialed down and subtle. And with a good box (not most production stuff) probably the most realistic.

However, Aluminum over glass in a pot call is another favorite, with a macassar ebony, Osage, or wenge stiker.

The only call I have had luck with us the Primos box cutter. I've called in several toms with it. Every other box call I've used seems to make the birds disappear. Also have had luck using a fighting/excited purr on a slate, Primos freak I think. This brings in hens and jakes too.

Custom Vowell Raspy Gittter-done Mouth Call is my favorite. I guess I can call my call whatever because I made it straight off the press.

Any one interested in custom mouth calls let me know. I can hook you up with someone that makes them.

I don't have a favorite per 'se...A couple of my Slate calls plus a couple Diaphram calls are favorites, got away from Box types once I learned the Slate and the range it gave me...

post-8681-0-44945300-1363478200_thumb.jpg

My personal favorite call is my own vocals. Clucks, purrs, gobble, kee kee runs and cackles no probs!! Practiced so my calls can be quiet and soft for a roosted bird to loud aggressive cutting after the fly down. I also locate call with my own vocals for yote howl and sometimes owl hoot. Last year I even cow elk chirped once to get a "tight lipped" bird to shock gobble during a hot mid day hunt. He ended up dead at 2pm. Turkeys are crazy almost stupid during the spring. I have numerous times called in toms strutting while sitting in a vehicle. Sometimes to within 30 yds.

But of course, I also keep a box call for cutting the wind (Lynch's) a beat up slate (Lohman) I first bought when "Johnny's Trading post" was still open in downtown Globe back in the day. And somewhere in my turkey vest is a wingbone bone caller a hunter I guided gave to me and a ole' favorite snuff can caller.