Sign in to follow this  
muddy

Iowa Buck - Dinkasaurus the 2nd

Same stand on same piece of public, only this was 2012.

Had a great hunt this morning. Saw a few turkeys, some does, a dink or two, and then I saw a buck on a ridge far away from me. It's as simple as I banged the horns together, grunted a few times, and he came on a string from about 300 yards I suppose. As he came down the timber edge he was raking trees and brush, made a scrape right under me, and by the time I knew it he was dead again. It was a VERY cool hunt, there is just something about calling whitetails that makes me find it hard to keep my composure. He shrank like last years buck, but honestly I was so pumped up it was crazy. I put a great shot on him and he went about 50 yards and barrel rolled within sight. Thanks to DWilk and jmoose for dragging help, they can attest that Grim Reapers put a HURT on deer, it looked like I axe murdered 3 people out in the timber. Not much else to say, public land hunting is very frustrating (had 3 people and their dogs come by Saturday) and today it panned out. The pics are off my phone, I'll add some more when I get them from DWilk
dink2m.jpg
2012-11-05103030.jpg
2012-11-05075800.jpg
dink2.jpg
Here's a few more pictures from the day. Nothing special really, just wanted to share the carnage. I know some of you are possibly upset by the fact I called the deer "Dinkasaurus", please remember that I'm someone not to be taken too seriously. Half the reason I used that name was because I shot the buck about 200 yards from where I shot my buck last year on the same chunk of public. This is also the 3rd buck I've shot on this same ridge in about 4 years. If I stood where this particular buck died I can see all 3 stand locations as well as where all 3 bucks died. Pretty good little piece.
IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2481.jpg
I know many of you hate mechanicals, but I'm sold on Grim Reapers, they put a HURT on things.
IMG_2488.jpg
IMG_2489.jpg
Carting out of the public, this year I finally had help.
IMG_2522.jpg
IMG_2527.jpg

Great Whitetails, Muddy. I hope to hunt Iowa or northern Missouri in 2014

--Bill