tgaab

Calling Advice

I have only taken one predator/furbearer with a rifle in two years hunting them in SoAZ... The other six (including my bobcat) have all been with my shotgun under 20yds... Why do I even bother bringing a rifle???

• Like 1

There are all kinds of rifle stands that can be made but I have found using a shotgun is much more exciting as it lends itself to more close encounters in brush and such. Plus with a shotgun with the correct choke you don't have to be as good of a shot! :)

• Like 1

My 835 with Remington 3" #4 buck is a brute out to about 55yds using a Carlson extended Hevi-shot IC... I've heard of folks using turkey chokes but I just don't know if compressing the load at the muzzle helps or hurts

Great shotgun and perfect load for coyotes. IC is a bit wide for shooting beyond 30 yards in my opinion but it really has to do with how far they typically are when you decide to pull the trigger. I typically am calling for fox and bobcats so I use a heavier than lead load for goose and duck. I have had a ton of shotguns and settled back with a simple Remington 870 with a 22" barrel and some trigger work done on it. I prefer a pump shotgun over the autoloaders.

ladderpicture2.jpg

For some reason with the extended IC choke and the 28" ported vent rib barrel- it still does look like a lethal pattern on the industry standard 30" board at 55... Usually more than a dozen pellet strikes 5-6" from POA. Only the Remingtons do it though, the winchesters and federals are all over the place. I have an extra full and the factory full and they throw VERY uneven patterns. Never tried the Hevi shot loads- too much $$$

• Like 1

I to have had problems with extra full chokes with the larger shot sizes.I think sometimes if it is to tight it deforms the pellets and can mess with your shot pattern.If I change loads I try different choke tubes till I get what Im looking for.

835 Ulti mags are back bored from almost 10 gauge diameter and tapered to the muzzle So they're almost like shooting a 28" choke tube! I get good patterns with it. Gotta get it camo dipped though... It's all black.

ya, I believe you can get better numbers with a shotgun but I just like shooting them with a rifle so that's typically what I use everytime. unless im really setting up for close quarters like mentioned

835 Ulti mags are back bored from almost 10 gauge diameter and tapered to the muzzle So they're almost like shooting a 28" choke tube! I get good patterns with it. Gotta get it camo dipped though... It's all black.

Do you really think the bobcats, foxes and coyotes care the firearm doesn't match your outfit? :)

I currently shoot a black 870 with wood furniture. They seem to love it. They come in awful close to take a look.

• Like 2

Do you really think the bobcats, foxes and coyotes care the firearm doesn't match your outfit? :)

I currently shoot a black 870 with wood furniture. They seem to love it. They come in awful close to take a look.

I'd like to think they care deeply about it... Then they die.

FYI- A coyote can't count past 1. He has no reasoning skills and develops his 'personality' based on the negative and positive feedback he gets while interacting with his surroundings. With thousands of years of evolution providing him a nose that can smell the parts per billion and an acute set of eyes that can see finite movement as a great distance we as hunters are still able to call them to within spitting distance. And the bobcat? It's the dumb one of the bunch. The gray fox? He would be on the short bus if they all went to public school.

I have pictures I can post where I kill bobcats in blue jeans, ropers, and a t shirt at a distance of about 15 yards. Fancy expensive camo is like putting a NOS sticker on your Toyota Corolla.

It's more so about movement (or the lack there of, than fancy camo)

10_20b.jpg

• Like 1

Whoops, wearing a camo t-shirt and ASU camo hat. (Camo pattern didnt even match! OH NO!), and my lucky Ropers and dang blue jeans. Nothing covering the face but a scraggly beard.

10_16_bobcata.jpg

• Like 1

I agree its more about movement.I dont know how many of you remember Gerry Blair (writer for the trapper magazine)He used to call coyotes wearing a santa clause suit just to prove it was more about movement than the clothes you wear.

FYI- A coyote can't count past 1. He has no reasoning skills and develops his 'personality' based on the negative and positive feedback he gets while interacting with his surroundings. With thousands of years of evolution providing him a nose that can smell the parts per billion and an acute set of eyes that can see finite movement as a great distance we as hunters are still able to call them to within spitting distance. And the bobcat? It's the dumb one of the bunch. The gray fox? He would be on the short bus if they all went to public school. I have pictures I can post where I kill bobcats in blue jeans, ropers, and a t shirt at a distance of about 15 yards. Fancy expensive camo is like putting a NOS sticker on your Toyota Corolla. It's more so about movement (or the lack there of, than fancy camo)[img=http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp105/Hyperwrx/Predator%20Hunting/10_20b.jpg]

I don't have the best vision but is that a air gun or is that a lefty gun with the bolt on the other side?

I agree its more about movement.I dont know how many of you remember Gerry Blair (writer for the trapper magazine)He used to call coyotes wearing a santa clause suit just to prove it was more about movement than the clothes you wear.

I have met Jerry Blair several times. Great guy. Last time was at a predator hunter gathering about 7-8 years ago up near Ashfork. He brought his wife and told stories around the campfire. Fantastic story teller.

FYI- A coyote can't count past 1. He has no reasoning skills and develops his 'personality' based on the negative and positive feedback he gets while interacting with his surroundings. With thousands of years of evolution providing him a nose that can smell the parts per billion and an acute set of eyes that can see finite movement as a great distance we as hunters are still able to call them to within spitting distance. And the bobcat? It's the dumb one of the bunch. The gray fox? He would be on the short bus if they all went to public school. I have pictures I can post where I kill bobcats in blue jeans, ropers, and a t shirt at a distance of about 15 yards. Fancy expensive camo is like putting a NOS sticker on your Toyota Corolla. It's more so about movement (or the lack there of, than fancy camo)[img=http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp105/Hyperwrx/Predator%20Hunting/10_20b.jpg]

I don't have the best vision but is that a air gun or is that a lefty gun with the bolt on the other side?

Lefty Savage model 93 I l believe. .17 HMR. Fun little plinker of a rifle. Crumbled that bobcat at 20 yards. Very chancy with a .17HMR. It didn't have enough kenetic energy to drop a bobcat or fox in its tracks without a picture perfect shot into the vitals. This cat presented a lucky shot and I took it. Sold the rifle shortly there after.