Sign in to follow this  
ragu

Water Catchments Fundraiser

All, I've decided to raise money for a project the Mule Deer Foundation is working to fund. It's a very worthwhile project to restore water catchments on the Diamond Bar Ranch near Kingman.

A side benefit is that I'm hoping to prove the concept of being able to 'crowdsource' the funds for this project. I've set up a site here:

Arizona Animals in Need of Water- Wildlife Water Catchment Project | Indiegogo

This will explain the project and allow you to donate if wanted. But, most of all, it will also allow you to share with your network of friends, etc. that may want to donate, too. That empowers the giving network!

Thank you all in advance for your help! If this works out well, I'm going to keep it going for another project.

Good idea to try crowd sourcing it!!

I am a little confused by the statement at the top of the page though:

This campaign is raising funds on behalf of Mule Deer Foundation, a verified nonprofit. The campaign does not necessarily reflect the views of the nonprofit or have any formal association with it. All contributions are considered unrestricted gifts and can't be specified for any particular purpose.

Why do you have that in there? If the funds can't be specified for this project doesn't that violate the spirit of the entire concept of crowdsourcing this project? And why doesn't this project reflect the views of the MDF if you are raising the money specifically for them?

Good idea to try crowd sourcing it!!

I am a little confused by the statement at the top of the page though:

This campaign is raising funds on behalf of Mule Deer Foundation, a verified nonprofit. The campaign does not necessarily reflect the views of the nonprofit or have any formal association with it. All contributions are considered unrestricted gifts and can't be specified for any particular purpose.

Why do you have that in there? If the funds can't be specified for this project doesn't that violate the spirit of the entire concept of crowdsourcing this project? And why doesn't this project reflect the views of the MDF if you are raising the money specifically for them?

Wow, so sorry I didn't see your questions here. All of the issues you point out are boilerplated 'legalese' that the Indiegogo service put on the fundraising page. Unfortunately, I can't change any of it. The fact is this money is going directly to MDF and directly to this project. Indiegogo is covering their rear ends, I suppose.

The part about MDF being a "verified non-profit" is in there because Indiegogo went through a verification process on their end because Indiegogo handles the $ and disbursements to MDF. They want donors to feel secure that they are making true tax deductible charitable contributions.

Did I answer your questions? Thanks for asking them!