Sign in to follow this  
GWHunter

Anyone have info on Elk Hunt Area 55 in Colorado?

I know our forum mainly focuses on elk hunting here in AZ. I thought there may be a few member who may have informaiton on Area 55 (Gunnison) in Colorado. Thinking about taking my son (age 12) on a colorado hunt.

The area just west of crested butte can be good for elk and deer. We have hunted 54 extensively all the way to crested butte ski area and we've seen lots of nice bucks and some decent bulls of the highway to crested butte. Are you going elk hunting or deer hunting? 55 is on the right side of the road off the highway going to the ski area and 54 is on the left side.

Couesmagnet- We are hunting for elk this year. If they offer a leftover deer tag, I may pick one of those up also. That will give my boy some flexibility.

55 is a draw unit for deer so no leftover deer tags there. If your hunting elk i would try starting east and south in the mountains before you get into crested butte. Be aware of private land in 55.

The deer herd in the Gunnison basin was hit hard my last winter there(07-08). I've heard anywhere from 40% to 70%+ winter kill, which is a dang shame. Who knows how long it will take to recover. I doubt it ever will, fully at least. You won't find leftover buck tags, but maybe some doe tags.

As for the elk hunting in 55, I would suggest spending some time on the CPW website. There is a ton of information to look at there. You may want to check into the areas around Mirror lake, Spring creek reservoir, Fossil Ridge, the treeline above upper taylor river and italian creek, and of course the wilderness areas. If no snow is pushing them down, and you are not finding elk, break out the topo maps and find the steepest, nastiest, thickest dark timber you can find on north/northeast facing slopes. The elk will be there, they always are. If you get an elk down in a rough area, make sure to check out the Gunnison times, as there is always an ad or two during season for college kids willing to trade some leg work for meat.

I can't think of a better way to spend a week or two in the fall with your son. If you go, make sure to grab a small game license as the area is full of blue grouse and ptarmigan, not to mention those annoying squirrels. And while you're at it, don't forget the fishing poles either. The Gunnison basin has some of the best fishing in the country, which is why I moved there. And depending on when you go, you could also get some potato sacks full of spawning salmon from Roaring Judy fish hatchery.

I'm not sure which season you are hunting, but if you can manage some time on either or both ends of your hunt, I would suggest you do so. If your son has on ounce of love for the outdoors in him, he will love every minute of it. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you got.