latigo11

Austin TX...is it for me?

Is Big Bend State Park OTC or draw?

Draw only as far as I know- check the TPWD website for sure... Aoudad are an exotic so there's no tag required. Just a license. I think you have to draw a Big Bend Javelina tag or a Mule deer tag and you get to hunt Aoudad while there. I always wanted to go, but never could get it together... That area is absolutely gorgeous for camping though!

It cant be any more liberal than Phoenix or Tucson.

Yes it can... you'll have to take my word for it.

Shiner Bock Beer and Texas Music.

Tubing the Guadalupe River...

I am a native Texan and I'm proud to call San Antonio home (hour south of Austin) even though I reside here in Phoenix now. Like most have said, leasing a private place is about the only way to go when it comes to hunting, but it won't break the bank if you go in with a few guys and a lot of leases offer year round access, so you can hunt all species on those ranches prewtty much anytime season depending, of course..Central Texas holds huge amounts of whitetails, turkey, hogs, Axis, dove, quail, varmits, predators. Also look into a lease in South Texas.

As far as fishing opportunities go, you can be fishing at any of these places in 2 hours or less:

Travis Lake

Lake Austin

Bastrop Lake

Stillhouse Hollow lake

Georgetown Lake

Colorado River

Granger Lake

Lake LBJ

Lake Buchanan

Just to name a few..

The economy in Austin is robust and growing. Yes, its the "San Fran" of Texas, but who the heck cares? There is so much to do and see that you'll quickly forget about any of that political BS. But, you'll quickly find out why they say 'Keep Austin weird". I hope you get the job and get to make the move...you won't regret it.

• Like 2

Grew up outside Austin on a large working cattle ranch and will be moving back someday.... I think you will love Austin area with the hunting / fishing it provides. One suggestion is to get a get a group of buddies together and lease a ranch for hunting for the year.... Also, with the huge numbers of free roaming exotics and feral hogs, you can pretty much hunt year round (also, these can be hunted at night with spotlights)...enjoy!