Sign in to follow this  
Pine Donkey

USO preparing for the hunt?

Lets the unit 9 rumors begin.... Every year I hear some crazy hearsay of outfitters doing crazy things in the premier units/hunts.... BS 90% of the time....

Exactly.

Out of all the years I've hunted in that unit I honestly can't remember ever running into any USO guides. I know they've been there and that story could be true, but I typically run into them in the easier to draw units where they can get more clients drawn. 6A is where I've run into a bunch of them.

There are guys who hang multiple tree stands or set blinds up on various sites and that's not that big of a deal, it is first come first served. It's when they do that with the thought they are "holding" the spot for themselves that really gets under my skin! Worse is when they invite their friends and family, who don't even have tags, to sit those same sites in order to physically hold them for the 1 or 2 tag holders in camp! That unfortunately happens a lot and is not fair to the other tag holders who respectfully back out of a spot because somebody beat them there, not knowing that person sitting the tank doesn't even have a tag! Man I hate that!!!

As for the motor oil comment, they must've been joking, and if not, I seriously hope I'm the one to catch em!

Yes 9 is crazy unit but a great one. Since drawing my tag, I now have 16 days there scouting. I think the record is 8 cams on a single water source and close to a few hundred seen. But only around 8 tree stands hung. I hit about 20 well known water sources over the last two days and saw I think 3 tree stands hang.

All I can say is if someone is holding a place that I may want to hunt, they best have a tag and archery gear with them or per ARS Statute: 17-316. . It is a class 3 misdemeanor for a person to enter or remain on a designated hunting area on any public or private lands or waters or state lands including state trust lands with the intent to interfere with, prevent or disrupt the lawful taking of wildlife. I was given some great advice, I will give them a copy of the statute while filming our interaction, than if needed turn it over to AZGDF to issue harassment. I really do not think this will ever happen as the unit is so vast and so many places to hunt. With only 100 tags, we should all be able to get along! The last thing we need is to have such an awesome hunt to allow a few jerks to ruin it, I will just move on to plan B, C, D. the great thing is you just never know when a big bill will show..

Another monster storm hit yesterday and there is water everywhere, I had to sit in the truck for 3 hours to wait it out. I think if this was a dry/drought hunt, there may be a few more issues for the limited amount of water to sit.