Sign in to follow this  
FOsteology

.260 Rem on Coues?

Anyone have experience with the .260 Remington shooting 125gr. Nosler Partitions on Coues deer?

I noticed most on here prefer the magnums. I assume it's because of the "flatter shooting" aspects as those coues deer are smaller than our Texas Hill Country deer! The smallest centerfire caliber I have is the .260. From there my battery jumps to a .350 Remingtom Mag.

I'm thinking if I can keep the range respectable (under 300 yards) it shouldn't pose a concern. Which brings me to my next question.... what's the typical range most are able to get within on the coues? I don't have experience with long range shots as most of my hunting is typically within 150 yards.

Appreciate the assistance.

FOsteology,

I have taken over 20 Coues. They are tough for their size. I have shot them with everything from 243 to 338WM. In my opinion I would use 100 to 120 grain bullets that are thin jacketed. Most of the Coues I have taken is with 120 sierras out of a 7mag and 7stw. If you hit them in the boiler room you get immediate results. I have found that noslers and other thick jacketed bullets gave me alot of runners. They can be tough to find.

I use a 6.5/lazzeroni patriot with 120 sierras and they work real good. I have a 260 for a backup and it is loaded with 100 sierras.

Our average shot in the last few years has been around 350yds. I think a 100gr bullet out of the 260 would work fine.

I like hydrostatic shock. Bullets that blow right through them doesn't put them down right away.

Chickenman

Thanks for the input and advice.

My rifle shots 100gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips very well ( just shy of 3200fps with less than 3/4 MOA). Sounds like they may be a better option.

I think your load would be great. On anything bigger I would not use it but for the Coues I think it would slam them down. Velocity is high enough for 400yd shots IMO.

Chickenman

PS Do you have a tag this year, if so what unit?

pollohombre,

Didn't apply this year as my planned hunt out West this year was to Washington with Bearmanric. We tried our hand at calling in some bruins and cougars with predator calls. Clear cuts have grown over too much. Can't see through all the growth..... but we could hear bears! Just couldn't see fur! lol

I'm going to apply for tag next year. Any specific unit that is better than others?

If I don't draw a tag I'm seriously considering booking a hunt in Sonora with Enrique.

I have watched my son kill2 bulls nd one cow elk with that combination. 1 bull at 300+ yds. I think that it would be great for those deer. It works well on anything we have put it to with 125 Gr. nosler's.