Sign in to follow this  
RAC

reservation elk hunt

Has anyone on here ever been elk hunting in units 9 and 11 on the white mountain apache reservation. I got drawn for a depredation elk hunt for cow or spike elk and I am not aloud to scout except for 2 days before the hunt. Any info that could just point me in the right direction would be very helpfull.

I personally don't know anything about the area, but if you want to get around the scouting restrictions, just buy a varmit tag and act like you are hunting coyote. David

Has anyone on here ever been elk hunting in units 9 and 11 on the white mountain apache reservation. I got drawn for a depredation elk hunt for cow or spike elk and I am not aloud to scout except for 2 days before the hunt. Any info that could just point me in the right direction would be very helpfull.

Rac, I had the tag several times in the last 8 years. I told them i was small game hunting (had a small game permit, shotgun, etc..) and they radio'ed in and knew I had an elk tag the following week. I got a scolding and warned that I would have been cited if a different ranger would have stopped me. There is no real reason to scout anyway. What units are open for your hunt??? PM me and I will share what I know to you.

Jim

Dude anywhere on the white mt indian reservation is good hunting. I wish i was as lucky as you!!!

You really have to watch them indians on that reservation, especially the crooked butt game wardens...Its all a political game to them and if your not on their side your in for a big headache. Trust me I know. We used to hunt the late hunt all the time, then they cancelled it, we used to buy the predator tag every year, then they cancelled it. as far as the comment "just buy a varmint tag"-- Good luck..They dont sell them anymore, but they are in the regs. political scam...They dont like outsiders in their playground, especially if your a little lighter in color than they are. I could go on and on, but i think you get the idea...

As far as unit 9 and 11...Scout from the rim road on the res side down to about the heber area...lots of elk crossing in there. once you are on the res.. try the iron mine area or canyon creek area too. lots of cows in there this time of year. Watch out for the big bucks in there too...Its a good hunt, just be smart when you hunt and are on "their"land.... :ph34r:

Ron