Sign in to follow this  
prowlerMan

Mosquito repellant

It might be known to a lot of people that dryer sheets repel bugs...well I put it to the test. This morning a friend and I went out dove hunting and I wore a thermacell and he rubbed dryer sheets on his skin/hung them off his collar, hat and pockets. We sat right next to each other all morning and I ended up with 8 bites on both my hands and 2 on my neck. He ended up with ZERO bites! The thermacell seemed to not perform so well in the wind and on some occasions when the shotgun was fired it would knock the internal flame out basically turning it off and wasting butane. Here is a link I found that explains what is in dryer sheets that bugs don't like http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2010/12/dryer-sheets-as-bug-repellant/. I wanted to share this with everyone because it something most everyone has in their household and it is effective! It also beats spraying bug repellant all over you and feeling like an oily mess afterwards! My conclusion is that dryer sheets do work! It's a cheap effective way to keep those annoying bugs away and a item that is very common in the laundry room!

Will give it a try, bought the off brand clip on repellant last week and after the first morning decided it was worthless ! I've heard guys have had good experiences with the thermacel. How about some other reviews.

Same experience the off one lasted one trip and won't work anymore. It did work okay but I don't really want to buy a new one each trip.

I don't wear my Thermacell. I attach it to my chair and I've really been impressed with the results considering the horrible wet conditions this year. Maybe I'll stuff a few dryer sheets in the dove vest too! Thanks for the tip.

/>It might be known to a lot of people that dryer sheets repel bugs...well I put it to the test. This morning a friend and I went out dove hunting and I wore a thermacell and he rubbed dryer sheets on his skin/hung them off his collar, hat and pockets. We sat right next to each other all morning and I ended up with 8 bites on both my hands and 2 on my neck. He ended up with ZERO bites! The thermacell seemed to not perform so well in the wind and on some occasions when the shotgun was fired it would knock the internal flame out basically turning it off and wasting butane. Here is a link I found that explains what is in dryer sheets that bugs don't like http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2010/12/dryer-sheets-as-bug-repellant/. I wanted to share this with everyone because it something most everyone has in their household and it is effective! It also beats spraying bug repellant all over you and feeling like an oily mess afterwards! My conclusion is that dryer sheets do work! It's a cheap effective way to keep those annoying bugs away and a item that is very common in the laundry room!

That's right buddy zero bites! Dryer sheets are where it's at for repelling Mosquitos, they work wonders. I noticed you over there clicking the igniter on your thermcel every so often, I didn't know your gun was blowing it out though. Another plus to the dryer sheets is they smell pretty good too... Unlike you my friend I smelled like a country flower leaving the field yesterday, you, well let's just say you smelled more like a mules backside!

• Like 1