erichein

Elk hunting in rattlesnake canyon

I finally got drawn after trying for 10 years. My youngest son and I are going to hunt rattlesnake canyon in the late hunt. Does anyone have any tips or thoughts they might want to share?

thanks

TJ-

You sound down on the idea of hunting in the canyon. I don't have any experience hunting in 6a, I chose rattlesnake canyon because a hunting buddy of mine recommended it. Other than the two scouting trips, I don't have any experience with the canyon. Are you suggesting I try a different location?

thanks,

Eric

I hunted 6A for early archery last year and scouted the Rattlesnake Wilderness area, but didn't find any fresh sign at all so I abandoned it and never went back. I'm sure things are much different for the late hunt, but don't know anything else about that particular area than my scouting trips. The beauty of 6A is that there are elk all over the unit and I suspect when pressure from the 2,000 hunts before the late hunt mounts, some will move into Rattlesnake and other less-accessible areas.

Best of luck to you and your son!

Stick with the canyon, the friend that told you to hunt that area knows what he's talking about! Glass, Glass Glass!!!

• Like 4

Eric,

I was thinking of the rattlesnake canyon in the Guilaro mountains, sorry my mistake! I was thinking "Wow", could there really be Elk there? They are showing up in places we would have never dreamt a few years ago. Good luck on your hunt!

tough hunt lots of people all over get to your spot before light and glass remember rattlesnake area is hike in only get as far away from nearest rd

My cousin shot a cow in rattlesnake canyon years ago. While she was moving in for the shot I almost got shot from other hunters shooting from the other side at the elk. I would hunt behind Lake Mary lots of elk.

Lake Mary was loaded with people during the archery seasons, and IMO the elk started moving out of there some. There was much less elk in that area this year as compared to last year, and more people. That said, there will always be some elk back in there.

If 6A looked anything like 5BN there is water every where. Don't know if that will be the case in November. The big bulls will be in the nasty canyons with timber, grass and water very close by. If you are seeing cows move to a more nasty area. They like to be solo that time of year. Tough hunt, but there are still big bulls to be had. Trick is finding one thats not all busted up. If I had that tag I would be in Rattlesnake area. Make sure you are in good shape, or find a friend with horses!