kennyazman

Helping out dad in Unit 10 late rifle

Here is the situation, my dad drew a late rifle bull tag for unit 10 and I picked up a leftover 36a coues deer tag for the late november hunt. These hunts take place at the same time. Although he won't admit it, I think he put down this hunt by mistake because neither of us have hunted this unit before. We normally hunt unit 8. I do know that it can be a great tag though. I went back and forth on wether or not I should go with him or go on my 36a hunt but I decided that I better go with him. I'm hoping that he is able to tag out early in his hunt so that I can still make it down to my deer hunt but if he doesnt thats fine too. So for all you unit 10 gurus, I AM asking for your honey holes and secret spots (haha!!). Actually, weve been given some good pointers on the unit already but I figure you cant have too much information. Pm me what you got. Thanks alot! We will be getting there a few days before the hunt and staying for the duration of the hunt if we need to.

Just doe's didn't even see a buck or an elk. It was still fun to get out and spend time with my dad but was a little disappointed that we weren't able to find any bucks.

I never been in the unit during a hunting season however, alot of folks around me have had that tag before. I hear the same things, alot of competition for space and alot of speed racing towards bull elk. I know my buddies usually hunt near roads, under a mile or so and whenever they glass up bulls, there is always someone else that saw them too! Take out maps, identify canyon or hill country that seems to be far from the road and you will reduce competition. You should get some pointers from members of this site easily, it's a big unit and quite a few elk but bulls can and most likely will be concentrated around certain regions. I did have a friend that hunted the pines during the late hunt and was able to harvest a great bull by still walking, a great method to avoid other hunters too.