Sign in to follow this  
oldrdude

Higher or lower in Nov

I am hunting my 6th year near Merritt and Scotia Canyon south of Parker Canyon

lake. I've hunted Oct and Nov and one Dec hunts there. For the Nov 11th hunt,

do you think the bucks moved higher or lower after the initial Oct 3 day hunt or

do they react like most deer and return to their normal area/patterns after 4 or

5 days of no pressure? The wind seems to always be out of the SW and I've

been told to (a) glass the east/northeast hill sides before the sun is a problem

and (B) after the 1st gunshots and heavy pressure the Coues bucks will stay in

very dense cover for the rest of Nov by a couple of guides and others have said

go low where you would normally hunt Mearns in the oak thicket fingers. ???

I had heard that area was hunted hard last weekend and that they werent moving much-staying down in the bottoms and thickets. We've hunted that area too for about 6-8 years and seen bucks everytime. Guy repliying to a different subject said that even with the pressure and everything else, that a few bucks were taken last week but many good bucks that were seen but NOT taken.

Got a group of 5 of us with tags. had been talking about trying those fingers down SW of there this time. Off the road towards Lochiel.

Had also heard the Millerswilderness area is all mess up with recent fire mudslides a a while ago.

Looking forward to it. Heard the grass is high this year with all the rains.....hard enough to see those bastards.

Good luck to you.

was out fishing at parker yesterday , talked to a hunter a killed a nice 3 point in what most consider mule deer country, he said they had seen several deer in the thickets with mule deer pretty close by

Killed my 85" on the last day of november 4 years ago. he was in the flats.

Casey I am beginning to think Epperson is right. You need to take it easy on the pipe. How can you shoot a coues on the last day of November. Unless maybe a youth hunt, but it couldn't of been in this unit. Do we need to do an online intervention. A coues hunter is a terrible thing to waste. I say the Coues will be both in the lower and higher elevations unless they are in the middle.

Bob

Guest Ernesto C

He mean the last day of the "November hunt" and he's not kidding.............last year he was after a blond and she cut him off and it was the last day of August. And then this other time at band camp....................well I let Casey tell you the story. :)

man ernesto you have a good memory! yeah she was a blonde and yeah she did cut me off. sorry my typings not 100%, sometimes ya gotta think after i type cause i leave words out.

on the final morning of the november hunt in 2003, i harvested my first coues whitetail, he gross scored 85" and was shot in the flats where i would not usually hunt.

A thought poped into my head when I read your question and I'll share it with you. If you have been hunting that area for 6 years and still didn't know where the bucks will be then maybe that area stinks and you should hunt a difern't area or unit. Some where that had more deer and less people. Or something like that?

Other than that, I don't think they move much if there food and water doesn't change. They just hide better when the pressure is on. ;)

A thought poped into my head when I read your question and I'll share it with you. If you have been hunting that area for 6 years and still didn't know where the bucks will be then maybe that area stinks and you should hunt a difern't area or unit. Some where that had more deer and less people. Or something like that?

Other than that, I don't think they move much if there food and water doesn't change. They just hide better when the pressure is on. ;)

Thanks for the reply. Have hunted it during Oct 1st hunt 5 of 6 times and time I

hunted in Nov was year of the big burn by Scotia/Merritt Canyons which wasn't

typical. Hunt now over for me. Saw does at 6500 ft on top or near top ridges.

Saw nothing in heavy brush/ravines. Saw one deer after dark by Sunnyside Rd

south of lake. Game and Fish guy said he had checked in only 2 small bucks.