bowsniper

Randy Ulmer Hunting Accident?

I see both sides, But on top of what. Hunting is a right not a contest.

I believe that if it is within the law then it can be seen as ethical. I can see two sides to the stroy. On one side it takes away from the superman, unbelievable hunter image that Mr. Ulmer has brought upon himself. He has put everything that is worthy of bragging about out in the public eye for everyone to see. He is doing what we all love to do is brag. After seeing one monster after another people begin to put him up on a pedastol. I would think that would make him want to strive to put bigger and better monsters that would bring his career and reputation to a higher level. In striving for the higher level the man is using some modern technology to get there. I do not know if I see it as cheating or if I see it as taking advantage of the technolgies we have and becoming the ultimate hunter. Either way he is still stalking and killing these monsters with a bow and that is a feet in itself. OH Yeah and don't be talking about Chuck Adams either. They are both great archers and hunters. My 2cents.

Well I guess Chuck and Randy both have excelled in what they do.

They both give us examples of how to get better at bowhunting.

I kinda feel pretty good about myself right now. I am way better at scaring game than I used to be.

No matter how good I am at scaring game, I always work hard to learn how to shoot the bow better every day.

I don't see flying an area several days before the hunt all that differant than looking at Topo's, Google Earth or any number of scouting options that we have available to us these days. I have never flown myself, but would not hesitate if I had the opportunity. What a great way to learn the lay of the land first hand. If you happen to see a nice animal while flying you still must have incredibale skill to harvest that animal. You guys all know how mobile a Buck can be during the rut. Get well soon Randy you are a great asset to Archery and Bowhunting.

Gary

I wonder how many of the people criticizing the use of a paraplane use a quad to get into farther, more remote areas??? I'm not saying it's right or wrong either way to use a paraplane but.........where do you draw the line as to what is the "good ole fashioned way"??? I use a quad to get farther back into tough areas and then I do a good amount of hiking. Am I cheating???? Some will say yes, some will say no. They are doing it legally and as others have mentioned, it's still not easy to arrow those giant bucks. If I had a paraplane and could get out and do that then I probably would, and I bet some of the critics would too. There is so much technology in use now days that wasn't readily available even 20 years ago that pretty much everybody uses. To say that they're doing it the "good ole fashioned way" wouldn't be completely accurate for them either.

I wonder why if the paraplane hunting is so intelligent and fair and part of the natural evolution of hunting that it is never in print. How come Randy has never wrote about it. Maybe I would accept this method more if it wasn't so secretive. Here is some titles for some insightful magazine articles. See how they sound. "Stalking Trophy Mules from the Air!" , "Buzzing the Canopy Methods: Get those Bucks to stand up!", "Mexican Coues Adventure, Two Bucks, One Plane."

All the other new fangled technolgical devices if not mentioned in the story seems to make it in the picture of the trophy animal( product placement). I have not seen a paraplane in the background, yet.

Bob

Yep I can see it on next weeks episode of Bowhunter Magazine, Randy Ulmer on the advantages of "Flying your Hunt Area". ;)

I wonder why if the paraplane hunting is so intelligent and fair and part of the natural evolution of hunting that it is never in print. How come Randy has never wrote about it. Maybe I would accept this method more if it wasn't so secretive. Here is some titles for some insightful magazine articles. See how they sound. "Stalking Trophy Mules from the Air!" , "Buzzing the Canopy Methods: Get those Bucks to stand up!", "Mexican Coues Adventure, Two Bucks, One Plane."

All the other new fangled technolgical devices if not mentioned in the story seems to make it in the picture of the trophy animal( product placement). I have not seen a paraplane in the background, yet.

Bob

I agree with bobyyo.If you think scouting by air is ethical you are fooling yourself.Can you imagine getting yourself on all these magazine covers,calling you THE GREATEST HUNTER WHO EVER LIVED, and then getting up in the morning and looking yourself in thse mirror? Mr. Adams all these records in all these different parts off the country. wHAT DOES THIS GUY DO FOR WORK? WHATEVER.Scouting by air takes 90% out of scouting.If you can pinpoint a animal to say 10 acres then you only have to concentrate on those specific 10 acres with confidence and patience.If you are not hunting ethical then you are only cheating yourself.

What do you guys take with you on a hunt? Since I hunt south of Tucson sometimes, I take some stuff with me.

Cell phone

GPS

Mr. Sig

Range finder

Flashlight and batteries

Electronic game caller

Binoculars

Tripod

Water

Do you know the electronic caller will disqualify you from entering your animal in some record books? You can have a friend call for you. You can use dogs. You can ride horses or mules. You can use an airplane 48 hours prior to the hunt.

I am not complaining, I have a battery in my GPS, phone, range finder and flash light. I would have put a battery in the electronic caller but I didn’t want to weight down my friend, the dogs, mule or the airplane.

I don't know why I am responding to this. I guess I like making assumptions. I assume this is not about search and rescue.

The question on the top of my mind is:

What day did Randy crash? Was it during the season, in his hunt unit?

Anyone have an answer?

If it was >2 days before the hunt than most of these recent postings are mute. It was legal. If it was during the hunt, than what penalties might/are being enforced upon him?

Bashing someone on a public forum doesn't seem very ethical.

Is it unethical to glass from the highest point and spot a 220" monster 3 miles away and be able to harvest that animal the same day?

It all comes down to your own set of personal ethics, you can't legislate ethics. One man's goose is another mans gander and as long as it is legal it comes down to a personal decision. I know and am good friends with a couple of extremely successful chute plane users that many of you know of, I personally hate the things and the guys I know that use them know it. We are still friends in the end but they do know how I feel. In the discussions I've had with them about chute planes - to a man they all say and admit they are a HUGE advantage that can't even be comprehended. When you are looking for a giant buck that may never EVER be found from the ground and you can fly over at low altitude and slow speeds and look into every nook and cranny and scout the amount of country in a few hours, that on the ground would take you a month to look at; and even in that month you wouldn't be able to learn as much as you would from the air. It's all about LOCATING the buck - when you know where he lives you've accomplished 90% of the job. When you can find where he lives in a small fraction of the time and effort it would normally take, then you can see why people use them. It's all a personal decision as long as it's legal, doesn't make it ethical and to me it's clearly cheating, IMO. It takes some of the luster off of what hunting means to me and, IMO, puts hunters in a bad light. Just my opinion.

It is just crazy to me that this tread can go on with all the experts making assumptions.

We are not basing any posts on facts. We are just responding to what??? The first post said he broke both legs, now we are down to one ankle. No one knows what the facts are and we are all talking out the back side of our glasses.

Not for me.Finding a monster animal is not worth the chance of loosing my life.My God and family are way more important then hunting.Any body else can do want they want.I do think it does take some of the accomplishments away from a famous hunter,If this is how he has found some of his trophys.Somebody said above that it is like looking at a topo map.I would like to know were I could buy a map were it would show me the saddle were a monster is bedded.

Noel

It is just crazy to me that this tread can go on with all the experts making assumptions.

We are not basing any posts on facts. We are just responding to what??? The first post said he broke both legs, now we are down to one ankle. No one knows what the facts are and we are all talking out the back side of our glasses.

The fact is, that this post has evolved from a discussion about Mr Ulmer into a debate about chute planes.

People use chute planes, that's a fact. A certain percentage of the hunting public thinks that is wrong, another fact.

Truthfully, I don't see anyone running down Mr Ulmer.

If a person is going to use controverial methods, they have to prepared to accept a certain level of criticism from those that are opposed.