Sign in to follow this  
r p coulter

1st muzzleloader suggestions

I am thinking of getting a muzzleloader for deer and elk, I have been reading some and am leaning toward the TC Omega or a Knight Revolution. There are, however, so many others out there to consider. Frinstance I already have an NEF Handyrifle that will accept a muzzleloader barrel and the Remington ect. etc.. Anyway, I was wondering what you all think, like, use and the pros and cons? I do not know anybody who shoots muzzleloaders and could use some help? I would be hunting Arizona of course and Illinois whitetails as well.

There are no restrictions in AZ as far as scopes, sabots, exposed primers, etc. However, ther might be some restrictions on muzzleloader design in Ill.

I have a Knight and it shoots good. I do not like the little plastic jackets you have to use on the primers though.

If I were buying a new ML'er, it would be a Thompson Encore.

I have a Knight Wolverine, .50 cal. It shoots very well, i use 100 grains pyrodex and 348 gr powerbelt. I try to keep it a little traditional, (just my own preference) by not using scope. They are alot of fun to shoot and hunt with however you do it. I would look at getting a .50 cal as minimum just because some states require that, also pay attention to the rate of twist for the barrel, 1/28 is what I have on mine and it handles most bullet sizes very well.

I would go with the TC omega. My dad and brother both have them and I really like their design. They are nice to shoot and easy to clean. TC also has good customer service. As for .45 versus .50 caliber that is up to you and what you are going to hunt as well as whether or not there is a minimum caliber size where you are hunting. I shoot a .45 cal Knight that I like, but it is a bigger chore to clean and the rifle is longer due to how the action is set up when comparing it to the Omega. In the past 3 years, this gun shooting 200gr. Hornady SST's has accounted for 3 coues and 1 elk with no problems with bullet penetration, even on the elk.

hey thanks guys, good info. I will have to bring up the Il. DNR web site to check there regs. I think I've settled on the Thompson Center brand now just need to pick a model and that is between the Omega and the Encore so far. Any more input would be appriciated though. Thanks