Sign in to follow this  
trapnfur

New Coues Deer Hunter Help

My hunting partner and I are looking at a Coues Deer hunt in New Mexico. Primarily looking at a rifle hunt but could consider archery. Interested in units 21, 22, 23, and 24 or any other that one would suggest with decent draw odds.

This is our first Coues Deer hunt and looking for an enjoyable hunt, not necessarily looking for a trophy but having that potential is always nice.

I would love to hear anyone's info or suggestions on the above zones. Thanks in advance!

any one of those units are good for coues deer. bow hunting could be good in 21 and 24 being there is not as much country to glass. 22 and 23 are good for doing lots of glassing. any of these units could produce a buck from the 85-100" range. it all comes down to dedication and lots of scouting.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. In your opinion what unit has the higher deer population? Also how is the immigration activity in these units? Is there any one unit that has less immigration activity than the other?

We will have about 5 to 7 days for scouting and hunting, is there a unit you would recommend for that time period. It seem there is two rifle seasons for each unit, any recommendations on which one may be the better hunt?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

You won't have any problems with illegal immigrants in any of those units. Once they hit I-10, they are on their way to Phoenix, LA or Denver.

You don't say where you are from, but if you are out of state or living someplace like Albuquerque or Santa Fe, I would recommend that you look closely at Tommy Maldonado (aka crazyaboutcoues in the forum) and his scouting service. If you have only 5-7 days to scout and hunt, the money will be well spent. Coues whitetails in those units occur in pockets--they are not distributed uniformly across the landscape.