200"mulie

Question 2A

So my buddy put in for this unit and got drawn for it ... without doing any homework. Once he told me about I looked up on G&F website that access can be an issue and the unit is more or less "checkerboard". I am going to stop by Tucson Map & Flag to see if they have any BLM maps for sale for that area. Otherwise I'll have to call BLM to get them.

My question is where to you start asking land owners permission to hunt/cross? Drive up on a scouting trip and go door to door? Try to find phone numbers or sending letters?

We plan on going up and scouting the unit here in a month or two to get a feeling for the unit. Any help on where to start asking private land owners permissions will greatly be appreciated. Is this question more for the Pinetop regional office?

Thank you,

Andrew aka 200"mulie

A lot has changed since I had my Antelope tag there in 1998. The landowners back then were fine with just about anyone that asked for their permission. Now, those same ones will deny most everyone.

Some of the best areas can be seen from the highway, don't forget that.

thanks saguaro ... We'll try and negotiate something with land owners

No problem. You could also try Navajo and Apache county records department, that worked out for me one time. Since you have several months, collect your info and present it to them. I had to wait maybe a week to get the information back, it may be faster now. You can also try the AZ State Land Department in downtown Phoenix to get the maps you need. It is fast cheap and easy.

Again, remember to stop on the highway between Holbrook and St. John's to take a look.

• Like 2

Ya my buddy Jesse said that area has a little more public access.

Thanks for the PM I got some very useful info and hope to repay the favor. Thanks

have had this tag twice. first time was a blast no real access problems. second time was 3 years ago. after contacting the unit manager he told me about some access very near st johns and about all the closures and access issues. i'd hunted in there the first hunt and scouted it before the second. no tire tracks no sign of traffic at all, then hunt comes up and over 70 percent of the tag holders were all camped in about a two square mile area. instead of working with landowners to help us gain access i guess he figured he'd just help us all out by putting us on top of each other.

anyway i accessed a huge amount of this unit on foot using maps and crossing fences from the highway where the land owners haven't followed all the rules for a legal posting. they just lock up the roads leading in. plenty of animals to choose from but little in the way of huge size. saw lots of mid to low 70 inch goats but only one larger and he got killed opening day. i was a little to late to the spot. i've always seen and enjoyed hunted between milky wash and the petrified forests' eastern boundry. not a huge area but seems like it always has a number of decent bucks. if you haven't seen anybody do it take a house entrance matte or piece of carpet to put on top strand makes crossing fences all day a heck of a lot nicer.

• Like 1

Here is a 2A buck a cousin of mine killed there two years ago.

Brian

post-102-0-60810800-1397327638_thumb.jpg

thanks guys i had told him to call the unit manager to see if he could get any info ... and the first thing i told him was to get maps. hopefully i can rpay the favor

Nice goat your cousin got Brian