Sign in to follow this  
Mon

December Luck?

I was wondering how members of this forum did on there december rifle hunts. I had a tag in unit 32, I passed on three small bucks spikes and two points, and got shut out no sign of the rut even on a very cold december 30th hunt with signifigant snow on the ground. The does I saw on the 30th were all by themselves. I know onlycoues didn't score either in unit 30A. How about the rest of you include which unit you hunted in and if the rut had started oh yea if you taged out.

I tagged out in 6A on Friday December 29th. The deer has double main beams on his right side. The deer grosses between 108-110 depending on what you consider his right eyeguard. His left side is a typical 98" type 3 point antler. 5 3/4" base on his left side. To be honest the deer is not that pretty but is truly unique. The buck was rutting with another 95" type 3 point and about 5 does. It was actually some of the best rutting activity i have ever seen.

Let's see some pics and here the story! Congrats. Sounds like a unique buck.

I started my hunt in unit 32 around noon on the 25th seeing 15 does and fawns.The next day I saw only does and fawns again.

Having taken 5 bucks from this same canyon in the past I stayed put.After finding a lone spike and lone forkie I found a nice

4x5 hanging with another spike.I shot this buck at three in the afternoon.

I got a 94-class buck on the second day of the season, before getting him I watched a 70-class buck make a scrape and rub some bushes, recently during pig scouting I found a couple bucks trailing does, today saw 3 bucks and all were trailing does, my hunt was in 34b

Well, the season ended on a bang but it wasn't because I was shooting at a buck. I passed on 6 different spikes and/or forkies. Missed out on a nice three pointer with descent mass as he made it over the ridge before I could shoot and the three pointer mentioned in the "December Buck" posting spoked by the quads. Over all I really enjoyed the hunt; got a lot of quality time with my Pa and family friends. Plus got to finally see two whitetail bucks go at it, a first for me. Only once before had I seen a couple of Muleys go at. Then it was "pigs" galore, skunks and ringtails. The mountains were great we got snowed on twice and rained on twice but over all a really enjoyable hunt. We scored with Dave's buck and that was good enough for me, would have been nice to take a descent buck but the ones I passed on will hopefully mature and provide another opportunity. Rut was full on and the does were spoked by any movement, esp. when bucks were around. Found scrapes and lots of good sign. Only minus was I didn't get to see a mountian lion but did see tracks. Overall good times all around. Lucky for me Dave will be sharing some deer meat ;)

Ern