Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Electronic callers

I'm thinking of buying an electronic caller to call coyotes with. I've read good things about the FoxPro, but at nearly $500 they are out of my league! Any suggestions or experiences with some of the callers in the $200 range?

Kevin

I have a CD caller from Lohman. I've only used it a few times as I like the personal gratification of a mouth call.

www.predatormasters.com should have the info you desire.

RR

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THE INPUT IN THIS POST AS I DREW A SPRING ARCHERY BEAR TAG AND THINK I WOULD LIKE TO HUNT FROM A TREE STAND AND USE A ELECTRONIC CALL WHEN I DON'T HAVE MY PARTNER WITH ME TO HELP CALL AND WATCH.

MIKE

I use a Phantom call and it works well for me so far . it is around $269.00 for the wireless one and around a $100.00 cheaper for the one with the wire and has meny sound cards you can get fot it

In my experience me and the nephew have had better luck with the mouth calls. We tried electronic calls and mouth calls at the same stands and the mouth calls brings them in now.I think a mouth call and a moving decoy should be the ticket.

I don't use anything but mouth calls. It seems to me that they would sound more realistic than coming from a speaker.

Guys I'm hear to tell ya...hand calls, blown properly, work great. You can call in a lot of yotes if you set up right. I've called in bear, yotes, bobcat, fox, hawks and owls. Now that being said I also have a FOXPRO FX3 and it is AWESOME! This thing sounds incredible! I've only had it out once, the wind was swirling really bad and I had my 11 and 7 year old boys with me, and didn't have any success. I'm going out next weekend and can't wait to use it again. Just the fact that you can set the call out away from you and keep the predators from keying on you is a big advantage. The different sounds you can use also help. For example I can play the woodpecker distress and if nothing comes in after 6 or 7 minutes I can switch over to the woodpecker/fox sounds, sounds like a fox trying to kill the woodpecker. Now Mr. Yote, taking a nap over yonder, wasn't about to get up and run all the way over just to see another yote carring off a dead woodpecker hears the fox and says to himself, hey there's an easy meal and comes a runnin. So if you see where I'm going with this the electronic makes you a more versatile hunter. I like to be prepared for any and all situations.

Since you asked, here my opinion. I've been calling for quite a few years and have a johnny stewart 612 tape player that works wonders. Try blowing on a mouth call till you cant see straight then try to shoot something as it runs by, you'll be so dang dizzy that you'll miss every time. I have called in and killed lions, bobcats, foxes, coyotes, wild dogs, wild cats, crows, Everything imiginable with my old 612. Shoot, just yesterday,my 12 year old son and I were out javelina hunting, and seen 2 bobcats so we set up and called one of them in and all we had was bows, no guns. I made a great 40 yard shot and killed a nice female bobcat. Had to shoot it once more up close as it was growling and spitting and charging at us, it was an experence we will never forget.

Anyways, for less than 200 bucks, get a 612 tape player by johnny stewart. I bet you can get one off ebay for less than 150, with a bunch of tapes too. You cant go wrong. Just carry a small high pitched mouth call around your neck to get them stopped when they come running.

Have fun..

Ron