Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

PitFalls/Mesquite bean harvesting/use

Guest oneshot

I should share these also... it take alot of beans to make alittle mesq. flour, dont over-grind pods the seeds are bitter, dont worry about one or two beatle holes in the pods the critters are gone, keeping the pods for a few days in the freezer worked better then room temp, you need to super clean your blender/food processor after grinding because of the sugar content being high, it will gum everything up if you dont,

Wave friendly like at the neighbours as they look at you funny wondering why you dont go buy a rake for landscaping...

First run through a commerch food processor, worked real good, note the waste in the strainer...

Pods in the processor...

Sourdough starter made with 1/2mesquite flour 1/2 reg. flour and mesquite honey, I cheated and added a pack of dry yeast, but it went fast into sourdough and almost took-off on me, I think because of the high sugar content of the mesq. flour... This batch wont be high raised and fine grained, but it should make a good "country" loaf anyway...

post-1378-0-09479800-1403977026_thumb.jpg

post-1378-0-96095200-1403977040_thumb.jpg

post-1378-0-12427600-1403977052_thumb.jpg

Guest oneshot

Sourdough Mesquite bread.. I didnt realy follow a recipe, so it came out alittle heavy and rough grained...

But a real tastey 'country loaf...

post-1378-0-67886000-1403990923_thumb.jpg

Guest oneshot

For whatever reason, the 1/3cup mesq. flour to 2/3cup of reg flour to make one cup of flour for use doesnt work as good this year... So I have cut it down to 1/4cup of mesq. flour to 3/4cups of reg flour... Recipes/final products are coming out better, and the taste is still there....

Lookin good. Thanks for sharing. Now I know why the critters love them. :)

TJ