Sign in to follow this  
andyu

Unit 12 New Mexico advise needed

Anyone familiar with New Mexico ? I'm trying to help my father get a big bull. Since az has been so tuff. He decided he wants a big bull and this is one of the few years our schedules are working out that I can help him. Been talking to a few outfitters just wondering if this is the best unit ? And any great stories of outfitters and/or any issues you can pm me on that if you'd like thanks in advance

There are some big bulls there but they are extremely pockety and nomadic. The unit is very checker boarded. Lots of private. But be careful, private doesn't always mean better.

Are you buying a landowner tag? All of the unit 12 landowner tags are private land only so make sure the ranch doesn't sell all of them they get or there won't be any elk on there to hunt. A good ranch will be locked up by an out fitter who will guide you and sell you a tag. Expect this to cost $6k-$10k. If you're a DIY hunter look at unit wide tags in 13,15, or one of the 16's. These will run you $3k-$8k but will allow you to hunt all public land.

My buddy guides for an AZ/NM outfitter in NM Unit 12. May want to give them a call or look at their webpage. They are not sponsors here so I'll send you their info IM

Unit 12 holds big bulls but last year I know an outfitter that struggled on the private stuff. As far as public you have to draw that tag and have someone take you that knows the unit very well. Unit 13 is a better opportunity in my opinion. You can buy the tag and hunt the whole unit I've seen more 370+ bulls in 13 than any other unit

Thank you to all your info I knew I could get help thank you and thanks for the pm's as well hope fully we will have a Better hunt because of the info you've shared Ill post pics soon!!!!