andyk_14

New to Coues hunting

Couldn't agree more with what everyone's posted above. Thank-you for your service, lived in Clarksville for 4 years when my father was stationed there. By the way, since your from Tennessee you better be a fan of the TN Volunteers... right..?

Go VOLS!

• Like 1

I bleed orange my grandfather graduated from there so I have been watching the football games since I can remember. I'm just hoping I can find a way to watch the games over here. The two things I look forward to most every year, deer season and football season (the best time of year). Hopefully this football season will turn out better than the last few years, and thanks to the fine folks on this board I have a feeling this deer season will be a lot better than last years as well.

Go Big Orange!

• Like 1

I've met a few guys who have come out here from back East or the Midwest and put their experience patterning whitetails to use with amazing success. Of course, I totally agree with posters here on getting the best glass and tripod you can and learning how to use those tools. But there's a lot to be said about doing some serious hiking in the area you are going to hunt. Try to locate where they bed, where they water, how they move.

One thing that's a little tricky out here, when you aren't hunting the rut, the bucks simply don't move much. They'll bed in a secluded area where they can feed close to their beds, and unless it is extremely dry, they won't even move much for water, and when they do, it will be at night.

I'd say use your experience from back East for locating and patterning, learn to use good optics and be very patient when it comes to glassing.

When it comes to getting your kill out, and I hope this is a problem you encounter, lol, you'll want to bone the meat out as quickly as possible. I like the gutless technique, get it hanging in the shade in quality meat bags quickly, and don't overload one bag. It's not uncommon to spend the night hiking the bags out.

Best of luck, and thank you for your service.

• Like 2

A big thanks to all those who gave me advice for this season. I was able to fill my tags with my first coues buck this year, not the biggest deer out there but a decent sized 5 point that I glassed up around 2 PM. Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice!!!

A big thanks to all those who gave me advice for this season. I was able to fill my tags with my first coues buck this year, not the biggest deer out there but a decent sized 5 point that I glassed up around 2 PM. Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice!!!

Let's see your buck!