Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

New knives!

One of the guys I work with started dabbling in making knives out of his garage about 2 yrs ago. Since then he's invested quite a bit in better equipment, techniques, and knowledge and now turns out some really great blades. His business is named "MilMak AZ" and these are produced here in Phoenix, AZ.

I recently asked him to make me a new hunting knife. Although I gave him a list of specific requirements, I left the details up to him. I don't know enough about different steels or grinds or whatever but know his attention to detail and exacting standards. On top of that, this is a guy I literally trust my life to nightly... and vice versa. So we both have a great deal of trust in each other and concern for each other's opinion. I asked him for a relatively short bladed knife but with a full handle, a drop point, a blade strong enough to push into a heavy shoulder or hip joint, and a steel that would not only hold a decent edge but be easy to sharpen in the field. What he came up with is below and I find it dang near perfect:

3/16" 1085 steel, flat ground.

photo2-9.jpg

photo5-3.jpg

photo3-4.jpg

This knife is going to be part of a set with the one above. The blade is shorter, thinner, and has a finer edge. I see the set as being kind of a gutting/skinning combo.

photo1-9.jpg

MilMak AZ can be found on Facebook and Instagram with many more photos of his work. If you're in the market for a new blade and can't seem to find what you're looking for already out there, or just don't want to pay ridiculous prices for some of them, give this guy a look.

• Like 1

Dang! Now that's a stout blade!