Sign in to follow this  
BASS

Traditional Muzzleloader tips?

What the heck is up with these things? :lol: I screwed up three shots this weekend when my rifle failed to ignite the powder. Maybe I just don't know the tricks of the trade yet. But I would load the powder in, and slap the side to try to get some powder in the chamber below the nipple, pack the round home, cap it, pull the trigger and *snap* :blink: Recap the nipple, pull the trigger, and again the cap would go off, but not the rest of the charge. I would then have to stuff a little powder down the nipple hole and hope for the best. This would ignite the charge sometimes, but again, not very consistantly. When I would make a comment like "If this thing doesn't go off this time, I'm pulling out the inline." at camp that night, *snap* *Boom!* Leaving me complety confused again. I tried hiking with it upside down, muzzle low, muzzle high, in my right hand, left hand, anything I could think of. I didn't tag out, but had a lot of fun trying to figure this gun out. I also know if I had to use this thing to survive a winter, I might as well put the thing to my head; but my luck it wouldn't go off. ;)

Or maybe your nipple is clogged.

Yeah, you might go hungry if you have a clogged nipple! :lol: :lol:

Sorry... I couldn't help myself......LMFAO!!!! :lol:

Good luck with that ol' smoke pole!! Sound like fun.

I wonder if your powder got damp, and the inlines primer was hot enough to ignite it. Or maybe your nipple is clogged.

That maybe. The shop I bought it from doesn't sell a lot of black powder stuff to begin with. So who knows how long it had been sitting there. I thought that hitting the side of the gun would sift some powder under the nipple, but it wouldn't. Maybe I should try cleaning the thing harder to loosen any gunk up.

Yeah, you might go hungry if you have a clogged nipple! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that's for sure! :lol:

Bass

I sent you a pm, there are a lot of tricks I just got some questions then I will post some of them, way to many tricks to post with our knowing some answers first, LOL I have been shooting black powder for over 18 years now and they can be a pain in the but some times

R L

More than likely mzlloader will help you out, but here are a couple of tips. Before you load the gun in the morning snap a couple of caps through it to dry out any condensation in the barrel. Also if you are using a liquid patch lube don't use to much. Make sure your nipple is clean and dry before loading If you are properly loading the gun you shouldnt have to tap it to get powder to the nipple. If you have other questions after mzloader helps out just holler. I've been frustrated by these muzzlestuffers a while myself!

Kevin

mzlloader,

I was using Hodgon Pyrodex "RS" with CCI U.S. Musket Caps- Liberty" The can also says non-corrosive, and Extra Strength. I guess I should have used uber-duty strength. The more I think about it, the powder may have been bad. The protective seal was practally falling off, the first time I opened it. And like I said above, who knows when it was first put on the shelf. I'm not discourages though, I love the sound of the snap of the cap just before the boom of the rifle. Another question. The cap fit very loose on the nipple. I searched around and could only find one size of caps. That just doesn't seem right to me on how loose it was. :huh:

Ok

First thing I do when I get a new side lock, is take the nipple off that comes from the factory and get a hot shot nipple or a perfect nipple, both of these nipples have a slighly larger hole and will let more of the spark get thru. If you are using a musket cap, which I see you are you are haveing some type of blockage in the bolster chamber, you may want to also try some new poweder you very well could have gotten some bad powder, but is unlikly I am shooting powder that has been open for over a year now,

Second thing, if I use Pyrodex in a side lock, I will load 5 grains of 3 f black powder in first, (but no more than 5 grains), some of you may look at me a little crazy, but if you look at the pyro or 777 pellets, there is a small black ring on one end this is blackpowder.

also you really want to make sure the chamber is dry, remove the bolster screw and run a pipe cleanner in a few times, then fire a couple of caps off to dry it.

most caps will fit loose on the nipple, if you switch to one of the above nipples they will fit a little tighter, if not gentley squezz the cap, this will make it fit a little tighter on the nipple you have.

smoke poles can be very very fun, but on the flip side can be very very very frustaiting,

Just remember if you ever buy a side by side muzzle loading shot gun, and you want to replace the factory nipples. if you go to the gun shop and a good looking lady ask if she can help you........

Dont blurt out the words, yes man I need a pair of perfect nipples. take it from experice it can get very emberssing, LOL

R L