Sign in to follow this  
284nut

Hornady Factory Superformance 154 SST

I purchased a 20 count box of Hornady Superformance 7mm mag with the 154 SST bullet. I simply purchased the factory ammo to have another 20 once fired Hornady brass to begin load development.

This being said, I fired a total of 3 rounds through a brand new Remington 700 7 mag with a 26" tube to begin a barrel break in. Barrel and chamber were cleaned spotless prior to the first shot and each subsequent shot.

Each round would not eject properly, and had a bright mark near the belt on the case body. Primers were extremely flat.

Upon getting back to the reloading bench, I pulled 2 bullets and weighed the powder charges. Each case contained 74.6 grains which seems a bit stout for a standard 7 Mag.

I have no experience with Superformance powder, anybody have any data?? Wondering if this was an oops on the factory ammo charges, but will not be able to rule out a tight chamber until I start new load development.

Has anybody had the same issue??

Unfortunately this is a common problem for hornady. I have seen some 6.5 creedmoor loads that were so hot they were blowing primers and even causing case head seperations. Box claimed 42 grains of H4350 and when I pulled the bullets I measured 46+ grains of powder that was clearly not H4350. Powder charges were way over max and all over the place. From then on I have told everyone I know not to buy hornady ammo. My experience was not even with superformance ammo which by design is developed to push the limits. I would contact hornady and make them fix it.

Definitely return it directly to Hornady, not just to the place where you bought it.

I appreciate the response guys, I did see on a Hornady website that the 154 SST Superformance was temporarily suspended from production. This being said I will follow up and return the remaining to them.

Oddly enough it shot well under 3/4 MOA, hopefully nobody purchases and doesn't before taking it in the field and sticks a case.