Xnt

Snake ID

We have a snake in our back yard. Unfortunately my little kids play there. But fortunately it doesn't seem to be a rattlesnake. Didn't hear or see a rattle. It looks like this: http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Graphics/Snakes/LAMGETNIG-09b.jpg

A Western King Snake? They're said to be harmless? I hit it with a shovel and of course it had to slither into a bush. not sure how much its worth trying to dig it out or hope it slithers out of our back yard.

It appears to be a king snake with very dark markings. If you look closely in the picture, you can see slight yellowing indicating king snake. My first guess would have been a black racer, but since you don't live in the Southeastern U.S., it's probably not that. Snake is harmless to humans and beneficial in eliminating mice/rats.

thanks all. Honestly my punk butt needs to get out there and trim some of the overgrown bushes. Take away their habitat and that means less surprises.

Kings snakes are welcome in my yard any time. I have enough rats and mice from the wash that borders my place.