Sign in to follow this  
Bpursell

Newbie in need of help

To begin with, I would like to thank the people who make this site possible. I am new to Coueswhitetail, yet have found the site to be one of the best I have seen.

Now to the issue. I have been scouting and glassing for bear for months now. The area I am in is not ideal for glassing and I have had no luck in spotting any bears. I understand that bears stay low and feed on the pears until early October then move higher for the acorns. I have found an old road where they travel from a lower canyon to higher feeding grounds. In other words, I think they move from a low laying canyon on to this old road and travel for a mile or two, then enter the mouth of the canyon that leads to higher mountain feeding ground.

I placed two tail cameras, one at the mouth of the lower canyon and one at the mouth of the upper canyon. I have nothing on the lower camera so I will move this one again, yet there are signs (tracks / scat) around the trail by the camera. The upper canyon cam I have a total of four (4) bears moving through the trial. Two (2) are moving up the canyon, one (1) is coming down, and one (1) I can not tell. All but one picture is during the night time hours (8 pm to 1 am).

I have hunted this area every day since October 3, and have not seen a single bear. I have been up both canyons and have found light signs and I continue to glass, but no bears. I know they are there, I have them on cameras during the night. Any tips, hints, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Try calling them out of the upper canyon. Hike through both canyons and find the water source they are using and hunt that source or put cameras on the water to make sure they have not just passed through.

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

or just leave nature alone!

good luck man bears can be super hard to be succesful or you can be neck deep in em... whats the saying 90% of bears are in 10% of the country..

my advice is this.... if kidso talks... get a pen and paper....

Thanks for the input. I have a foxpro wildfire I use on coyotes. I'm downloading the fawn in distress for it. Will try to call them out. Any other sound I should get that does not come on it.

Both canyons are very rough (as to be expected). The lower one has a very small seep on an old waterfall (1/2 mile up). The upper canyon has water flowing through most of it.