Sign in to follow this  
Buckshotbob

New to Coues

Hi everyone Buckshotbob here very happy to have found this site. Im new to hunting out west very different than south Louisiana so mainly looking for advice. This year coming I plan to put in for everything I can draw in New Mexico and possibly put in for deer in Arizona, but if I am fortunate enough to get a chance for Coues deer in NM im going to need some help. Anyone that has experience with hunting these beautiful little deer please help me out with info. What units are the best, anywhere to setup camp, what calibers do you like, scouting tips. spot and stalk tips, just anything helpful id really love to get into Coues hunting. Also anyone looking for help or teaming up for a hunt let me know I could use a hunting buddy! I stay in the south east corner of NM near the caverns.

" bring down the lion and the rest of the jungle will quake in fear "

Welcome to the cwt.com. You'll find all the info you need by just reading the forums. Pretty much everything you mentioned has been talked about on here. Most New Mexicans consider the area you are in more Texas than NM - haha. The advantage is I think there are some Eastern Whitetail opportunities near you and also Feral Hogs near the Pecos river. Get out there and shoot away!

Look up videos by Jason Amaro who is on here. He is a NM guy who posts some good videos

Welcome to the forum. Diddo on the information above. Most all of your basic questions, calibers, optics, advice, can all be found in and around this site. Back on the main page under the hunting tab is a plethora of information. As far as NM specific information, Coues deer are found only in the SW part of the state. Units 27, 21, 22, 23, 24, 16 all hold pockets of Coues deer. 23, 24 and 27 are the only units that they split up Coues and Muleys. You got plenty of time to research these great little deer prior to next years draw cycle.

jeff

Thanks for the reply and yea lol TX is about right so close I drive into TX for work. I've seen a few of his videos guy knows what he's doing and im sure everything im looking for is here on this site just haven't gone through all the post yet. Really just looking to get in contact with other hunters and start making connections also im sure there's hogs around the Pecos just haven't seen em yet. Mostly I see javelina and mullies have yet to see a whitetail but the antelope up around the Roswell area have my attention.