rossislider

Unit 37b Jr Hunt Javelina Help

My 10 year old son and his friend have tags for the unit 37b jr javelina hunt that opens on Friday. When it comes to javelina I'm a bit of a novice myself having only hunted them once before. Anyone have any tips on the unit or the hunt?

Thanks

Pig hunting is a lot of fun. The challenge with pig hunting is locating them, given there small size and the fact that they like to stay in washes. Once you locate a herd, it usually is very easy to get within 100 yards and take your pick. Pigs don't usually move fast from place to place, they feed slow and stay in groups. Be careful this time of year, a lot of sows have piglets. I was just out on Monday in 37b and jumped a huge herd of about 20 javelina in the flats and about half of them had piglets. Some areas of 37b are thick and flat which means finding pigs is super challenging, some areas up against mountains and hill might make it easier for you to spot them. I've been hunting 37b for the past 4 days helping some friends on a mule deer hunt and we have only seen the one herd in the flats, with the amount of glassing we've done etc... Good luck, your kids should have a great time, lots of coyotes out there.

Keep your head on a swivel. We had the first JR hunt. Glassed up two monster pigs and on the way to them we jumped a heard and shot one at 15 yards. Two days later went back to the same spot and shot another one at 10 yards. As long as your quite you wont bust em out. They'll hang out for a few minutes to try to find out what you are. They were even still hanging around as we were dressing out the second one.