Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

The Beast gets a few hours in the Mountains

Guest oneshot

Orion has been getting pissed he hasnt had any Mountain time lately, so Sunday morning was all about him...

Alert and on-the-Hunt...

post-1378-0-50381300-1417515801_thumb.jpg

post-1378-0-78906500-1417515868_thumb.jpg

Thats a big boy. Im over due to get my beast out in the sticks, probably few enough snakes now to be safe.

Yes Mattys281, he is 80lbs now, lost 6lbs since his last 6month check-up...11years old, has a cancer and heart murmur, but is still puppy-like and in no pain. A good Beast...

I got alittle flack after posting these photos on fb, comments about "I dont like that thing across his nose..." The leash system, gentle leader, is more like a horse bridle making Orion controllable. Hooking up to his chain collar he pulls hard and does what he wants. He doesnt really like the gentle leader, but I sure do...

I liked it and was thinking it may be a good option for my lab. Shes an 80lb. Arm yanker. Generally speaking a great dog, but her walking manners are lacking.

Great pics!!

We run German shepherds and a gentle leader is an absolute must! When our daughter was 3-4 years old, she could walk our 110lb white male with absolutely no problems. All have hated having that on at first, but they get quickly excited when we pull them out. They know what it means. Your gentle leader was the first thing I noticed and I smiled.

We lost our white boy to cancer after a long, hard battle two years ago this coming February at 10 years old and our old girl to spleen cancer this past July at 12 months old. Enjoy every single minute you can with that beautiful boy!

Our current "puppies": Odin (all black in background) is 85 lbs and will be two years old next Friday. Being a true GSD, he has two more years to finish growing! We're hoping he tops at no more than 120lbs! Venus (foreground) is almost 4, (adopted, so we don't know for sure) and is a dainty, yet powerful 67 lbs. Gentle leaders are required for trail hiking in popular areas and while running with them!

post-4869-0-59891600-1417623471_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Odin is a Czech GSD from champion lines. He's very driven and determined. A good yank on the gentle leader slows him down for a bit, but then he's back at it! I will say its nice when going up hills or quick, steep climbs!

Where do you pick those up petsmart? I never saw one before this thread. I like the idea more and more.

Where do you pick those up petsmart? I never saw one before this thread. I like the idea more and more.

You should be able to get them at Petsmart, Petco, or any online pet supply place. There are different versions and brands (Gentle leader, Halti-coller, etc.), but they all work the same. Our trainer recommended one for our first German shepherd 13 years ago and it was amazing. She hated having it on at first and tried constantly to get it off, but after a few days, she was excited because she knew it meant walking, hiking, running, or just working. All four of our GSDs over the years have hated having them on at first, but came around after a few days. Good luck!

I picked one up today and man what an immediate difference! She surely is not a fan of the nose strap and I had to snug it up a bit to keep her from pawing it off, but was able to loosen it again after she settled down a little. I dont think I'll ever walk a dog with anything else again. My lab used to be very well trained to heel, but the last couple years we haven't had a lot of time to work with her and she barn soured on us. This contraption calmed her right down.

• Like 1