KGAINES

AZGFD IS ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS

Ray

I couldn`t agree with you more and I was just kidding on the nowhere thing . I just wanted to make the point that all good ideas don`t have to come from extremely intelligent people. I think the Game and fish department will get the idea even if we have some mispelled words. I am not sure that being a little angry is so bad though because most of us are. Maybe if they realize everything ain`t so great in RiverCity it could cause them to actually make some positive changes. I sure hope so anyway! Coues Addict

Rich, I?m not suggesting that a person needs to be a genius to write an opinion, and I am no genius when it comes to writing since it is not my best subject area. What I am saying is to express an opinion in a way that the reader gains interest in it, and thinks about it. If a person writes a letter to where the reader gets defensive and builds up a mental wall, the letter has not achieved its intended purpose. You can display your anger, but be nice about it. I guess what I am saying here is that a letter that is well written, and one that is well thought out, and is positive goes a lot farther than one that isn?t. My intention here was to give some suggestions, not to put anyone down.

I think that sometimes you need to express your anger it just needs to be directed in a way you are not making a personal attack, if you are trying to express a view and get something done, it needs to be just as you stated diamondbackaz. The quote that you put above is a response to someone who was here to instigate and try to antogonize us. I am not saying it was right, but it was a response and being such it was taken out of context. I do have to agree with coues addict also, great ideas can come from simple minds, common sense is under estimated nowdays.

I think that sometimes you need to express your anger it just needs to be directed in a way you are not making a personal attack, if you are trying to express a view and get something done, it needs to be just as you stated diamondbackaz. The quote that you put above is a response to someone who was here to instigate and try to antogonize us. I am not saying it was right, but it was a response and being such it was taken out of context. I do have to agree with coues addict also, great ideas can come from simple minds, common sense is under estimated nowdays.

Good point Keith on not to make personal attacks, I have seen things come to a screeching halt when this happens. I do feel that the AGFD is actually reaching out to us hunters on this one. Most of the time when a government agency requests comments, it's just a feel good process because law requires it. I wrote a comment earlier this year when the department was requesting comments on the fall regs. They later sent me a document with their responses to the comments. They had a rebuttal to all of the comments with the exceptions of the comments that agreed with the changes they made. Then it was thank you for agreeing with us. I believe that this is an opportunity to have some real input into a closed system.

Diamondbackaz

Just to echo your point, a poorly written letter rambling from point to point and insult to insult and un-intelligible thoughts are no fun to read. It is like trying to read a bad book.

In the July 16 meeting I saw reactions from board members and interested people in the audience when the many less than articulate (putting it nicely) people got up and whined about something that was already answered. Face it, Eyes glaze over when you have to sift through the muck to find the point. There was one guy who must have been given a quarter to buy a big word that he obviously did not know the meaning or proper use of.

Keep it Simple, and it will be more effective.

In school I was once told that In Fashion terms, Short letters should be: Like a Lady's Skirt

Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep it interesting.

Obviously I went to school before political correctness was a problem! ;)

I appreciate your point!

Edited by az4life

Diamondbackaz

In reguards to your post above that was directed towards me. I think you are completely right, a well thought out letter is going to go over a lot better and I would like to appologize for my smart a_ _ remark, but I just couldn`t resist at the time! I hope there are no hard feelings and I really do agree with you. I am not even an Arizona Resident so I appreciate the fact that I can even voice my opinion. I just love to hunt Coues deer and I hope I can continue without it costing me an arm and a leg. I have never even put in for the kaibab or the strip. I did get an elk tag some ten years ago and I did not kill an Elk. Here in Ca. in my area nonresidents can buy an over the counter deer tag for around $285.00 to hunt desert mule deer. Every year there are a few bucks killed in the 28'' to 30'' spread range. I just don`t see why it should break the bank for a Coues Buck in Arizona. I am sure you guys will work it out and hopefully us hard core hunters won`t have to get two jobs to go hunting. Rich Thompson aka Coues Addict

I for one like to read each post. If someone has a hard time with words and the way they spell they still have something to say. They also have the right to an opinion and the right to speak there mind.

If someone wants to get mad at people like buster and fire off. They may not think about things they are saying. On the other hand when talking to the game and fish when asked for help.They may slow down and use spell check or ask there wife how to use a coma or period.

I read each post to learn from all the great coues deer hunters that we have ,And try to share when I can. I do not come for a school class on how to write and spell. I do not want to sound like I am high on a soap box , But I do think that we do not need to poke fun at those of us that may have spent more time thinking about hunting coues deer and the next football game in school than the more important things in life.

I hope that those that are good at words will send there opinion to the AZGFD. I also hope that those like me will also send there opinion into the AZGFD. After all they did say they wanted sugestions from all of us That are hunters in Arizona.

Edited by ARIZONA GUIDE

Guide, my issues on my recommendations were for writing letters to government officials, not for writing posts on this forum. I never complained about how people write on this forum other than keeping it clean. I even get sloppy sometimes on the forum. The quote that I took off of one of the threads was to show an example of poor writing, and the type of writing that should not be used to write a letter. I have worked in government for both the Forest Service and the schools most of my adult life. I have been on the receiving in of many letters. I have read through many environmental impact statements some of which include letters from the public. If you read some of these letters, you know what I am talking about. I have seen adults write like 4th graders with 8th grade attitudes. You don?t have to be a genius to write a good letter. Guide after reading many of your posts, you have more than enough writing skills to articulate your point of view in a good letter. Keep them pithy which means having substance and point. AZ4life witnessed how people can be at a public meeting; many of the letters they will get won?t be much different.

DBack

I know what you are saying for sure. I did not want to sound like I was talking to you at all. You are just the one that brought up the point. I just wanted to let everyone out there know that there opinion will still count as a strong number of suport for us.

After reading what I said above I thought about removing it because it sounded like there was a finger being pointed. That was not my intention at all. My intintion is to have the best outcome for Arizona.

Thank you to all for your posts and suport to each of us on this site.

We all have the same goal here. Everyone should write a letter, numbers do mean something. Another thing to consider in addition to everyones individual letter, is to come up with a organized group letter. Organized goups have a lot of pull. I don't know how coueswhitetail.com can come together as a group to agree on content since their is no elected board, but we might be able to come up with something.

and remember, we're mad at uso and azgfd, not each other. we're the good guys. we're the guys getting screwed by the lawyers. the azgfd still get their checks every week, taulman still get richer, nonresidents get more of "OUR" permits.

and in response to muskeg, the reason the internet draw needs to go is to inconvenience these stinkin' hunter pools, like taulman and some others have. make him fork out that money. letting folks apply for permits for $5 is a joke. everyone and their dog can apply for anything. taulman has an account with a bunch of nonresident money in it. once they give it to him, it's his. he applies for permits for them, all over the country. he doesn't have to use that money until they get drawn. how many permits can he apply for for $5? a heck of a lot. make him pony up full price. do away with this e-applications.

.270 ...... I see your point. I was not aware of that part of the Az draw with USO. I have found out more about the Az situation lately as there are very good discussions going all acrosss the hunting boards.

In fact I was wondering if it was a good idea to even do that (for me), after reading a few posts, this season, on hunters accts being screwed up and worries about the tag charge bouncing. I will be sending in by mail from now on ........... that's if you guys let me come and hunt Dec Coues any more :P

I guess USO could do that to our Elk hunts as well. There is an Island just north of here that had an Elk transplant. It has grown to a huntable population. There are some monster bulls out there. Roosevelt's with 1000 or 1200 lb bodies live weight with 300 plus scores. It is a very tough hunt. They started out with 30 tags by draw. Then to 70 and now to 140 plus 15 archery only. The kill has remained the same at between 9 and 12 bulls or so.

I have never drawn in six years. Some hunters have drawn twice though. Only one non-res has drawn but only very few put in for it.

I would hate to think about USO flooding that one with apps.

That action does have to be stopped.

Well maybe I won't be putting in for unit 22 and 23 Dec Elk and WT hunts.

I dont think I could handle .........

*They should have to wear a blaze orange vest that says non res hunter on it.

Maybe Arizona Guide is onto someting there.