Does anyone know why NM did away with bonus points, made 3 archery hunts, and made the Gila units ES tags? Just wondering :huh:

Does anyone know why NM did away with bonus points, made 3 archery hunts, and made the Gila units ES tags? Just wondering :huh:

the points went away because the way it was setup was that those with max number of points would draw.... meaning that in a few years they would be give out tons more tags that only had to do with hunter demand not management...

3 hunts- outfitters can run more hunts and hunter opportunity

Gila ES tags - hunter opportunity

j-

When did NM offer bonus points? I have been a resident all my life, all of 28 years, and can't remember bonus points?

As far as the three hunts I have heard that they based that on some of the hunter surveys. That most people marked that they hunted 5-6 days out of the 15 day hunt so they figured shorter hunts would work better for people? :rolleyes: The outfitters I think also played a big part in that. Most outfitters offer a 5 day Elk hunt so this would help them.

As far as either sex tags they had been that way for many years for all archery hunts in the 16's and 15, 13, 23, 24, etc. up until a couple of years ago when they tried the mature bull tags in the 16's. I am sure there are many opinions both for and against the 5X side or better rule and that could be a topic debate in itself.

I believe that in the end in comes down to one thing, and one thing only..............................MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

The dates they start the hunts on leave a lot to be desired, start on Wednesday end on on Tuesday etc. But then again at least you have an opportunity.

I have mixed feelings about it. I have always taken the full hunt plus 1 day before and 1 after. I'll miss having 15 days to hunt. However, the tag numbers are half what they were for each hunt so the total number of tags is still the same, but each of the first two hunts will have half the hunting pressure of years past. That is a good thing in my mind.

Kevin