CouesWhitetail

AZGFD Hunt Recommendations

Seems to me they had the best of both worlds with the central unit WT hunts. Good opportunity (25% +/- draw rate) and a good quality hunt. If you are going to micromanage the deer harvest, does EVERY unit have to managed for opportunity over quality? Can't there be some whitetail hunts managed strictly for quality?

I totally agree.

Desertbull and Coues n Sheep, I posed that very question to the commission and Leonard last year and was told that the alt management plan provides quality hunts for WT in the Dec hunt structure rather than providing specific units. Unlike for mule deer (which has designated quality units), the WT hunt units have a Dec hunt which provides for low hunter density hunts. I tried to argue last year that it would be nice to not manage all WT units the same. I thought it was great having good draw odds for a dec hunt, high success rates and low hunter density in units like my home unit of 24A. Then there were other units that had higher hunter numbers, high draw odds (90-100% for Nov hunts), and lower success rates. To me that was some great management and provided hunters with excellent and varied hunting opportunities, but that has all changed.

Anyway, those of you interested in discussing the hunt recommendations should come to the ADA meeting tonight. Below is the info for the meeting.

Just a reminder:

The AZ Deer Association meeting is on Tues the 17th, 6:30 pm. Anyone may attend and we will be discussing the hunt recommendations with Leonard Ordway that night. Come and ask questions or just listen to what he has to say.

The meeting will be held in Room 109 of the University of Phoenix Campus on 46th street and Elwood. The building address is 4635 East Elwood St., Phoenix, AZ 85040. This is the 3 STORY BUILDING. This is the building on the EAST END of the campus.

From the WEST SIDE take I-10 East to 40th Street. EXIT 40th turn Left to the Second Right. This is ELWOOD. Turn right and follow to the UOP campus on the RH side. There are 3 large red building we will meet in the last building if coming this way.

From the EAST side, take I-10 to the State route 143 Exit. Take the 143 north to University. Exit University turn left onto University to the first stop light which is about 1 block from the freeway. Turn left and follow this to the UOP Campus. We well be meeting in the first building if coming from this way.

Parking is avalible all around this area. Please email me if you have questions or needed further directions.