asbever8

Coues Tag for unit 23

asbever8,

You have a quality deer tag. You probably know that already - that's why you applied there. Scouting is the very best way to find out what you need to know. While the hunt is in progress is not the best time to find roads that don't like your truck, or to find out where the deer aren't.

Don't it stink to reach the end of a hunt, and then realize what you'd do next year if you get the tag again? The odds of getting a 23 coues tag are a lot like the odds of getting a rifle bull tag. Don't count on next year - it's a long shot. Get out there just as much as you can get away with and get 'er figured out. Find multiple glassing spots before the hunt. Line out lots of options, and in the course of doing so you will be getting a good feel of the area and the animal you are hunting.

Lots of folks hunt the southern half (big desert), but the north half has a lot of great hard to get to places. Both halves have wilderness areas.

Ultimately it is you and the work you put into it that will determine the success of your hunt. I hope you have a fabulous hunt and kill the deer of your dreams.

Gett-y-up!

Mike

If I was in your spot right now, I would search the posts for "unit 23" and also go to the website for the AZGFD and look at the unit write up. Then head out and see as many spots as you can, as often as you can. After you have narrowed down your possibilities to a few, re-post some of what your thought are and I am fairly certain someone will let you know if you are on the rigth track, or help you decide on the best option of your group of possibilities.

Right now, Shoe leather Shoe leather Shoe leather and more.

Have Fun!

Make sure you use lots of shoe leather and do no glassinng. Glassing is evil. Make sure you walk lots and keep walking at least 15 miles a day, don't listen to the chumplords who tell you to glass. Glassing is way overrated.

Bret M.

bullwidgeon

I wouldn't say no glassing... but spend time glassing when you take those mandatory rest breaks.

Good luck, asbever8

Signed,

chumplord??? :unsure:

az4life

Once again I will add.

Glassing is MEGA OVER-RATED, if you are from out of state then you need to keep waliking and busting ridges and low rises. Buenos Noches...

Bret M.

Walking alot is great, see lots of country, get lots of exercise, sometimes you even see critters, I will often walk many many miles.........to get to the place I want to spend the rest of the day glassing. To say that glassing is evil is just a tad extreme, I am not at all opposed to people that prefer to walk all day, heck sometimes I even just watch them through my Leicas as a source of entertainment. I guess that's what makes us all individuals.

Good luck on your unit 23 tag asbever8, you have a real quality hunt coming up no matter how you hunt it.

23 can be a tough hunt if you've never hunted it before and you're truly after a good buck. Do lots of scouting, and the farther away from roads you get, the better and more enjoyable your hunt will be. Horses or a pack frame are very beneficial.

Bullwigeon,

I am sensing that your "Glassing is over rated - walk your butt off" is kin to "There are no deer of any kind in unit 23. You must hunt somewhere else."

I think we are bonding.

Mike

unit 23, the place where i killed my first deer. It was a small 3x4 mule deer and i shot it in the nne end of the unit. Although, we saw some decent whitetails, a couple forkeys, and one that would went over a 100. in that unit the key is hunt areas with water! IM not sayin camp at a waterhole, but do some scouting looking for sign. You have my favorite unit, (for elk, mule deer, 2nd favorite coues) there are some HUGE coues in there so SCOUT alot and maybe you'll find a couple.

Good Hunting,

rifle hunting, bowhunting,

fishing, outdoors loving,

13 year old grant

You guys just aren't very nice. :D

That's all I have to say about that!

Jeff

If you want a trophy buck, try hunting the pine/pinyon country in higher elevations w/ elk. Hard to glass but the country should hold trophy bucks due to low hunting pressure.

Bullwigeon if you say no glassing I hope your kidding that or you dont' know how to. If you want to get a buck glass if you dont' walk and IF that is IF you see him you'll get a 1000yd shot and he'll be in the next county. Big bucks arean't stupid if you want to see them glass and then glass some more.

Glassing is no good. Glassing is a waste of time, if it works for you then great. I must not know the secret glassing method, and you know what walking works just fine for me so keep your method. Generally, I just stumble around until I see one and if it has horns then I shoot it. This theory will work in 23 and any other coues unit around here so trust me just keep walking.

Bret M.