Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Woods Canyon Lake Report 3-27-15

post-3883-0-99809500-1427749806_thumb.jpgI got to the lake at about 6:15 Friday Morning and it was a calm as can be. I fished with earthworm and mealworm about 30" under a bobber from a usually productive spot but the fish were not taking it very aggressive and after 15 minutes I moved to the spillway.

The lake is full with water just going over the spillway a little bit. I had the same results here and at about 9:00 switched to green powerbait on the bottom and caught three trout in about 20 minutes. For being holdover fish they were skinny and 10-13".

I moved again and the fish were actively feeding on some bugs that were getting blown onto the water as the wind had picked up to about 10 MPH. The bugs were a small fly looking insect and the trout fed on them up until I left at about 2:30. The fish would mostly stay in the shade of the trees and hit the bugs when they floated into the shaded water.

I had a foam type dry fly that I trimmed down to about the same size and put it about 5 feet behind a bobber and cast it about 10 feet past the shade and let it drift into it. Twice fish rose to it and swirled but were wire enough not to take it. I was fishing 4# floroclear.

I switched to a black Crickhopper and caught three more fish and things died down a bit so I put on a small gold castmaster and caught three more using a slow retrieve.

I spoke to the woman in the General Store about how skinny the fish were and that last year almost all of the fish I caught the first day were two pounds or better and she said they had almost no snow this year so maybe that had something to do with it.

I fished again on Saturday with about the same results but used mostly power eggs. The action was a little hotter and a couple in a boat said they had about six or eight fish all caught trolling rooster tails.

The campgrounds are all still closed so I camped off the 300 Road in a designated camping area and went hiking on Sunday for two hours before coming back.

Temps were close to freezing at night.

• Like 2

Thanks for the report. Next time you have fish rise, but not take your dry fly tie a dropper fly onto the dry fly. The dropper fly is tied onto the bend of the dry fly's hook and is usually about 2 feet in length. You can use any type of nymph as the dropper fly. The dry now becomes another bobber. The fish will usually come up to look at the dry and eat the dropper on the way back down. Great way to catch picky fish.

Adam

• Like 2

I did go to the general store and looked at their flies but I didn't see one like the bug. I did buy what looked like a Royal Coachman and tried that on Saturday. Fish took it three times but each time I was not paying attention and missed setting the hook.

Before you go next time, come by the house and I will tie you some fly's that should work great at Woods Canyon.

Adam

This time of year never had a problem with wardens worry or peacock lady on Woods canyon... small peacock lady, stone fly or hairs ear as a dropper was what my dad and grandpa always used ....