Sign in to follow this  
Swivelhead

2015 SCAR 1st & 2nd Spring Hunts

Been waiting to see if other CWT members would post about this years San Carlos spring hunts. I've hunted the tribal lands for the last 15 years. Always have a good time on SCAR and I will continue to hunt there. That being said, I had both spring hunts this year. Least birds I've ever seen on both hunts since I started years ago.

There are still birds in our chosen areas but numbers are nowhere close to years past. I won't mention areas but I will say I'll be looking at other places on the reservation next year. Those of you who have hunted SCAR over the years have a similar experience?

I had the early hunt this year in San Carlos and struck out. Only got to hunt two and half days. I was actually kind of disappointed with the hunt and area I was in considering this area is supposed to be like turkey utopia. Very little gobbling and turkey action was my experience. I also had a public ground late hunt in a unit that gives out a ton of tags and I called in 9 different toms on May 2nd and 3rd. One of the best turkey weekends I have ever had. Don't ask if I got one though.

You wouldn't happen to be the guy I talked to on Sunday afternoon while on the rez, for better than an hour would you? We were after the same bird and didn't even know it. I already bought my tag for next year but I will most likely hunt the last 3 days of the hunt because the beginning of April is just a little too soon IMO.

Good Hunting

had some friends go 2 for 3 on the SCAR... said they were into a lot of birds at least compared to last year where they went 1 for 3 ...

I had the early hunt this year in San Carlos and struck out. Only got to hunt two and half days. I was actually kind of disappointed with the hunt and area I was in considering this area is supposed to be like turkey utopia. Very little gobbling and turkey action was my experience. I also had a public ground late hunt in a unit that gives out a ton of tags and I called in 9 different toms on May 2nd and 3rd. One of the best turkey weekends I have ever had. Don't ask if I got one though.

You wouldn't happen to be the guy I talked to on Sunday afternoon while on the rez, for better than an hour would you? We were after the same bird and didn't even know it. I already bought my tag for next year but I will most likely hunt the last 3 days of the hunt because the beginning of April is just a little too soon IMO.

Good Hunting

Not sure if we spoke. I drive a big white Ford.

My group went 3 for 3 in as many days. Saw very few birds but the toms were singing. Guess in the end we only needed to see 3! Their beards averaged 9 1/4 to 10" ; all around 20 pounds or more.

• Like 1

My group went 3 for 3 in as many days. Saw very few birds but the toms were singing. Guess in the end we only needed to see 3! Their beards averaged 9 1/4 to 10" ; all around 20 pounds or more.

Called birds or ambushed?

They were all called in, 2 came in at fly down and the other we called up at around 10:30AM.

My friend Eric and I had second season tags and no doubt this was the toughest turkey hunt I've ever been on at the San Carlos.

Took me 12 days and Eric 13 days to get it done.

We heard and saw birds everyday; morning and evening, but they just would not come in.

I finally got my bird to come in after an hour and only 3 calls to him.

When he came in he was NOT in strut, just feeding and walking straight at me. Got him at 41 yards using the new Spectra Shot White Lightning 3.5 inch turkey loads with 2 1/4 oz of nickel plated hard lead shot at 41 yards!

post-11017-0-54871400-1432193905_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-66190400-1432192956_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-09696000-1432193297_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-07677200-1432193325_thumb.jpg

Eric got his bird on day 13 and ambushed him on the way to the roost. Had one hen with him!

We had figured out the roosts and the way they were coming in, and Eric got it done.

post-11017-0-48935400-1432192991_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-27389300-1432193254_thumb.jpg

Beautiful gobbler!

My bird weighed just over 18 lbs., and had a solidi 9 inch beard and one long spur. His fan was messed up from all the flopping he did after I shot him!

Eric's bird had a good 10 inch beard and also weighed over 18 lbs., but had short stubby spurs. His fan was PERFECT!

post-11017-0-80407000-1432193355_thumb.jpg

Definitely saw way less birds than ever before!

Not sure if they are putting out too many tags or what.

Got early season tags for 2016, hope the action is better!

Saw bearded hens, one had at least a 4 1/2 inch beard!

I almost took her, and maybe next year I will. I will get her mounted so I can use her in our Hunter Education class and show the kids what one looks like. Only 10% of the Merriam hens sport a beard, so finding one that had a fairly long beard was unusual.

post-11017-0-46817500-1432193643_thumb.jpg

Was a fun hunt, and had every kind of weather you can imagine from snow, sleet, hail to hard rain and lots and lot of wind!

Saw a couple of bears and a bobcat stalking two hens as they were coming to roost; bald eagles, ospreys, elk, antelope mule deer, whitetail deer, squirrels and even some Mearns quail!

Can't wait till next year!

By the way the Merriams finished up my turkey TRIPLE CROWN for 2015.

I got a good Rio Grande in Nevada

post-11017-0-40856700-1432194392_thumb.jpg

He had a 10 1/2 inch tri-pod beard, weighed over 18 lbs. and had some nice spurs. 1 shot at 30 yards!

I also got a super Goulds gobbler in Unit 35A. on opening day. He had three strands of beard that were an honest 13 inches long, good spurs, and weighed over 20 lbs. I shot at 27 yards!

post-11017-0-43923800-1432194532_thumb.jpg

Figured it out. I had 20 days of scouting or hunting turkeys, and 6 days of driving to and from the units I was at.

With all the problems I had go wrong on the San Carlos, I figured that Merriams was a $1,000 gobbler! LOL

Can't wait till next year to see what the turkey gods will throw at me!

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Don congratulations on your birds. Out of 6 permits we got one bird. The only bird was a big one taken by my brother with a shotgun. Everybody else (except me) was archery hunting with traditional gear. I stuck with the compound as I need more practice with traditional gear. Other than tree gobbling it was relatively quiet on both the 1st and 2nd hunt.

Regarding taking a bearded hen, I'd recommend doing that on a fall hunt. Likely, a hen will have a clutch "in progress" during any of the spring hunts.

• Like 1

Don congratulations on your birds. Out of 6 permits we got one bird. The only bird was a big one taken by my brother with a shotgun. Everybody else (except me) was archery hunting with traditional gear. I stuck with the compound as I need more practice with traditional gear. Other than tree gobbling it was relatively quiet on both the 1st and 2nd hunt.

Regarding taking a bearded hen, I'd recommend doing that on a fall hunt. Likely, a hen will have a clutch "in progress" during any of the spring hunts.

I agree. Please don't kill turkey mamma's!!! Arizona turkeys already struggle. The babies need their mom's. Congrats Don on your epic year. You seem like my kind of Crazy. You definitely beat me this year as far as days in the field. I hunted 13 days with only 2 breaks.