Sign in to follow this  
gogoj1

Article about shed "poachers"

FYI here's a brief article about shed "poachers" in the Oak Creek Wildlife area in Central Washington. Not fully explained in the article - how the area is closed off during winter to reduce stress on the Elk herd, but some cheaters sneak in early and stockpile sheds before 'opening day'.

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/20/415741337/volunteer-rangers-work-to-rein-in-antler-poachers

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/oak_creek/

I wonder what it is like hunting sheds up there? Sounds insanely competitive, they probably clean the woods out in the first few days?

There was a show on cable called "Shed Wars" briefly a couple months ago. I was really looking forward to it...until I saw the first episode, then the second and vowed not to support it again. People driving ATVs across meadows and wilderness areas, flying planes to scout herds and chase them, etc.

There were mostly ethical shed hunters, but the husband/wife team thoroughly pissed me off every time I saw them.

• Like 1

My shed buyer in NM got approached to be on the Shed Wars pilot. Not sure why he didn't do it. He said he wasn't very impressed by the hunters they showed.

• Like 1

Not really much different that what goes on here with the rez antlers......roads that are closed are clearly traveled and then the mad rush opening day to claim the stock piles.

It is going to kill antler hunting with the idiots that continue to practice such tactics out there.......

• Like 1