BACKCOUNTRY

Unit 37B, Any Deer left?

Well I have gathered-up all my hunting reg's and G&f's survey/odds info today, Now all I have to do is decide where I would like to hunt and what type of game meat I would like to fill my freezer with!

(IF I GET DRAWN)

Im thinking about unit 37B...... :o

Now I know this is 99.9% Muley country, But I have been seeing lots of track in the Black Hills area when I go Dove/Quail and Duck hunting in the area.

Just last week a co-worker told me that the biggest Desert Muley he has ever seen, was a few years ago, down around the Willow Springs Ranch area.

Im quite familiar with all the water holes and gas line roads in the Black Hill and old Barkerville town site, I have even spent some time around the 96 hills area, But all I ever come across is tracks

It looks like this could be a very tough hunt (nov-9...18) and thats just the way I like it, but I also love

the taste of game meat.

any thoughts??? :ph34r:

or should I just stick with good ol COUES? B) B)

Replied to your post on the other site Backcountry. ;) Not a bad idea to post here to ensure some more folks see it though.

In answer to your final question on this forum though; If it were between muleys in 37B or coues anywhere, I would just stick with coues if I were you!

Good luck. I hope you get some more info. PM me if you would like to talk in more details about some potential spots in 37B. I've got a couple of old favorite honey holes that I'd rather not share in public, but that I would give-up in private.

Regards,

S.

:)

Havn't spent a lot of time in 37b but have been pig hunting in there. We have came across some good sheds in there and seen a couple good bucks. Havn't seen much deer in there but the ones in there are big. They are just hard to find. I've heard of stories of some big bucks in there, going to be a tough hunt. I was thinking of puttin in the unit for one of my later choices.

this is the hunt im putting in for....although its the toughest ive been on. I love the unit and I spend most of my time in it.

The biggest deer that I have ever seen have been in this unit....including one monster desert muley...and another one that will be a monster this year. Plus I know of two whitetail bucks that will be decent this year....both three points...both lacked length but they were wide. I never see a good number of deer in there, but the deer I see are very nice bucks. I still have yet to find their sheds...but im still looking.

Here is the matching set I found earlier this year

Sheds005.jpg

Sheds001.jpg

Sheds006.jpg

I am still debating that these sheds are from a muley...im 99% sure they are, but there are definetly some whitetail characteristics in the sheds

then here is a shed from a muley that my uncle and I saw this year...this is his shed from two years back

0531071743a.jpg

0531071743.jpg

If you do your work before the season you will be succsessful...

About 15 years ago this was a great unit for muleys. I still hunt pigs in there but the deer have really declined from what I have seen, granted now that I am married with kids I dont spend as much time as before but I do have several cameras in the unit that dont show alot of activity. Good luck to you and maybe we will cross paths there soon.

Thanks to all of you for the great reply's.

It looks like this unit still has great potential, I better get my scouting gear together.

I usually cruise out there after work on fridays, getting to the Black hills area around 6:00 pm. this allows me about 1 hour to do some glassing.

I mainly hang near some of the bigger cattle tanks, but I also like to head up and over the ridge by the microwave tower on the north eastern slope of Black Mt. That area looks like some real good habitat for Muleys, But all I find is tracks and a few little Fox's.

I will also head over to a big tank on the north west slope of Black Mt. Its not the best road, but it limits the amount of traffic in the area.

The foothills sure look good around there, I just need to get up high and set-up the Tripod and start working the grid.

Thats the plan anyway...

Any tips??

DB...sweet pics....thanks for sharing

BACKCOUNTRY....just find a good vantage point...and like you said just start working a grid...you wil be bound to find something. This time of year glass first and last light...most of the bucks will be nocturnal...you might only catch them moving just when it is light enough to glass....I would recommend get out and do some hiking try and find some sheds...find some water sources...enough effort will give you results.

good luck

The black hills area gets hammered by not only deer hunters, but bird, pig, varmint hunters, dirt bike riders, quads, etc.

Get off the beaten path in the southern and northern areas of the unit to find more deer.

The bigger bucks are in the huge cholla patches (flat).

How would you guys rate this unit for pig? I'm thinking of putting in for a fall pig hunt in 37B.

I hunted 37A a few years ago, wasn't that impressed.

Thx,

KP

How would you guys rate this unit for pig? I'm thinking of putting in for a fall pig hunt in 37B.

I hunted 37A a few years ago, wasn't that impressed.

Thx,

KP

There are more pigs than deer, without a doubt. Almost major every wash has a herd.

Thanks Desert Bull. Is the unit easily glassed, or do you just have to be lucky to run into pigs?

KP

like DB said there are more pigs then deer....I know of a few herds within a a couple square miles....there are a bunch of them in there...

I glass up all my pigs...

I see pigs there all the time - except for the during the 3 javelina seasons I hunted there LOL. I have been with DB and seen some mulies. I have seen some does. I have found some sheds (one big one), and frequently - BIG tracks...