Sign in to follow this  
thunderbolt

treestand

Well i finally got out and tried my new treestand. I read the instructions 6 months ago and everything wasn't fresh in my head. I also watched the video but i thought it wan't very informative. anyways i gave it try and it wasn't very easy for a first time user. I got the screw in steps and the body harness ready and away i went up the tree to about 6 feet. I set up the stand the best i could and going over everything for safety. I got it all set up and the kids gave me my bow so i could get a couple arrows off. Very comfortable and quiet. For a first time user it was extremely aukward. can't wait to get back to the mountains to give it another try.

They get easier to set up after you do it a few times. By the end of last summer I could screw in steps & hang one in about 15 minutes, if I didn't have to clear any branches. That was pretty much the first time I'd hunted out of them. Does your harness have a climbing belt on it? BEing able to take your hands off the tree & lean back on that makes a world of difference.

Yes is does have an climbing belt. I just need to find my comfort zone with the belt. sometimes i felt i wanted it pretty loose and other times i wanted it tight while climbing. 15 minutes thats fast. how high do you guys put your stands????????? I was thinking to put my stand around 15 to 20 feet high.

I generally like to sit stands at about 22' to 24' up but I am kinda new to tree stands compared to some.

But most of the guy's I hunt with set their stand way high and with the quality of bucks they harvest it's

hard to argue.

I generally like to sit stands at about 22' to 24' up but I am kinda new to tree stands compared to some.

But most of the guy's I hunt with set their stand way high and with the quality of bucks they harvest it's

hard to argue.

There is no arguing with success. For me it depends. If it's on a hillside & I think I'll most likely be shooting down hill, depending on the grade, you may not have to go very high, or you may be better served w/ a ground blind than going in a tree at all. On the other hand, if the wind, trail location, etc. dictate that your tree be down hill from where you expect the animals to be then you'll obviously have to go higher. I try to stay in the 10-15 ft above the animal range, but again, I'm new at it myself, so take it for what it's worth. This last season, I didn't get the chance to fling one at a deer from a tree, but I did have a huge booner 6x6 bull elk walk by my tree at less than six yards & then stop & sniff the ground right in front of me at about 12 yards. He never looked up or winded me. Just bugled a few times & continued on after the cows he'd just chased by. That stand was about 10 ft. up.

As for setting it up fast, a trick I figured out was to get up to the height you want & get positioned in a comfortable position w/ your climbing belt. I then haul up the stand with the haul rope tied to it & once I've got the stand, I throw the haul line over a limb above me & tie the loose end to the tree stand so that it is loosely hanging against the tree & I don't have to hold it's weight. I also keep the plat form tied up w/ cord until after I get the cinch-belt strapped on, then untie or cut the cord & push down the platform to lock it in. Untie one end of the haul line & let it drape to pull your gear up later. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but that seems to work pretty good for me.