Sign in to follow this  
Red Sparky

3 days in the Gila

Just got back from a 3 day scout/camp trip in the Gila by Reserve, GMU 23 and 16D. I left my little Nikon point and shoot camera at home since my daughter was suppose to take her DSLR. The key words are suppose to as she forgot it at the house so no pics :( . It was great sleeping snuggled into a sleeping bag rather than laying naked under the A/C at home. The elevation we were at was 8400 feet according to the GPS.

I will not be hunting any waterholes as there was water everywhere. Mosquitos at that elevation were about the size of an Apache helicopter so glad we had taken bug spray. We had a hard time finding any dry wood to make a fire but did get that done so the daughters and wife could make S'Mores. It rained Saturday for about 30 minutes and was a nice soaking rain. The grass is about 2 foot high and green as can be. Up at that high elevation we saw 3 neon green frogs about the size of 50 cent pieces.

The deer and elk are in great shape. Only saw mulies as far as deer went but they looked like pigs, nice and round and they had tan summer coats rather than the reddish color I am use to. Seems like every doe had twins this year and they have about completely lost their spots. If you looked closely you could still barely make them out. The biggest buck I saw was a huge 4x4 with brow tines that was close to 30" wide. I am only hunting Coues this year so maybe next year I will put the daughters in for mulies in that unit.

As far as elk go they are really fat as well. The biggest bulls were in 16D about 330" up to about a 400" bull. Heavy mass and great tine length. The 400" had mass about the size of my forearm up past his fourth points and giant whale tails. Now if I can find him during my Sept. bow hunt I will be a happy camper. The bulls in 23 were spikes to about 280" class bulls.

Now for the bad news. The 8x10 Ozark Trails tent from Wally World we bought about 15 years ago for under $100 gave up the ghost. The loops where the pegs go finally rotted out and the seam on the roof ripped. It certainly didn't owe us anything as we used it about 6 times a year, every year and a lot of great memories in that tent. Luckily I always have extra tarps along so we didn't get wet but now I have to buy a new tent. Thinking of a tipi style or maybe even wall tent.

• Like 4

Sounds like a good trip, except for the tent issues. There was a Kodiak tent for sale on here this last week.

I have the early muzzy mule deer hunt in 23 this year. Maybe we'll run into each other on the hunt?

Working on my Jeep and it won't be ready by Sept. so if you see a '91 red/white chevy S-10 pick up with an extra cab that will be me. I may have the camper shell on/ may not it is dark blue. Hey it was in a yard with a free sign on it, it fit, so at least I am patriotic, red, white, blue. :D Hopefully we will run into each other.

This will be the first time I have ever hunted in 23. I have a ML mule deer tag. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Below the oak zone. They tend to stay lower than the whitetails.