Sign in to follow this  
Red Sparky

Sept. 2105 in the books

Well I was excited to go coues hunting with the bow this year when I put in for the tag. I put in for unit 23 here in NM since it is pretty much a guaranteed tag. I had three bucks last year on my elk hunt but had a muzzle loader mule deer tag in a different unit. I didn't think I was going to go, you can read about that part of my life in Loss of a Mentor in Memorials, but my younger daughter knew I needed to go. She basically made me. So we went Thursday before the holiday weekend and set up camp. My wife and older daughter came down to Reserve on Saturday afternoon and all three of them left on Monday the 7th. We got rained on everyday and I think the only day we saw the sun was Sunday morning.

We were setting up camp and the bulls started bugling about 4:30 PM. We walked from camp and I was cow calling and bugling a little bit hunkered down in some young pine trees and I pointed out a spike, two rag horns a 3X3 and a 3X4, and one small 5X5 80 yards from us. They had us pegged but didn't know what we were and walked off the other direction. Thursday and Friday night we would listen to bugles from camp and then the weekend karaoke brigade arrived and they shut up. I had more traffic by me on that forest road than I do at my house in Los Lunas.

We jumped two 150-180 class mule deer on Sunday morning but no coues deer. After my daughter left I didn't see any more elk. I did see three more nice mule deer in the 150 class and had does feed within 20 yards of me. Luck would have it if I had a mule deer tag I would only see coues. Then I got the call from my wife and came home early. Hunting is over unless I can make it back in January. They had Frank's services on Saturday and I knew he would want me to stay hunting so I did. My Dad was diagnosed with cancer and an aneurism on his heart. We are in the early stages of finding out how advanced the cancer is and if they can do anything for his heart. I figured I had enough time hunting and came home. Here are some pictures of my 11 year old in camp with me and some of the scenery but I didn't get any animals.

post-13142-0-89535700-1441864360_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-40896000-1441864390_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-37428300-1441864410_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-20892500-1441864436_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-94000300-1441864460_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Sometimes Life gets in the way and you have to enter the mountains to gain perspective and clear your thoughts, finding trophy's that cant hang on your wall, but that live in your heart and soul...

Love the photo of your daughter with a book, big stick and " I have a plan" smile...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad and hope it turns out as well as possible. It's always good times hunting with the kids. I can't wait to get back out with my little girl this winter. She's a fourteen year old backpacking machine that'll out hike most of the adult men I know.

Sorry to hear about your dad. The main thing is you got to spend time with your daughter even though you were not successful. A great hunting trip is not always about the kill