Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Back By Request - Sweet Mesquite Jerky Recipe

I received a request today to repost this Jerky recipe I had originally posted a couple of years ago. It is by far my easiest and most popular recipe. Since posting it I’ve easily made over 100 pounds worth of this for family and friends and it has turned out great each time. Even those who don’t like game meat love it, just don’t tell them what they are eating till after. I’ve used it on deer, elk, and hopefully antelope in the very near future. Even if you have to buy a jerky gun and dehydrator, you will probably sale A LOT over meat processor prices for jerky.

You can find the jerky gun on Amazon for about $15 at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJX-5-American-Harvest-Jumbo/dp/B001795P3K/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1441921016&sr=1-1&keywords=nesco+jerky+works

Sweet Mesquite Jerky

Thoroughly combine these ingredients together in the following proportions:

· 1 pound of ground meat (Prior to buying a grinder, If I didn't have burger I would just throw a couple of pounds of cut up steak or roast in a food processor for a minute. It works just as well)

· 2 Tablespoons of Sweet Mesquite Seasoning

· 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar

· 2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce

I have found the Sweet Mesquite Seasoning can vary in the level of spice. I love spicy food but my wife and kids don’t so I suggest doing the following. The proportions listed above will usually make a mild jerky. But I don’t like to make a big batch without testing the spice level first, so once everything is combined I will make a thin quarter size patty and fry it in a pan, then taste. From there you can add more or less seasoning, brown sugar, etc. to suite your taste. Continue testing before throwing it all into the dehydrator. Use a jerky gun to squirt it onto dehydrator trays. I then put it into my Nesco dehydrator at 160 degrees for about five hours. I make one big spiral on each tray then cut it into 4-6 inch pieces.

Since there are no preservative in this, be sure eat it, refrigerate, or freeze it right away.

Original post:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/41672-sweet-mesquite-coues-jerky-time/?hl=%2Bsweet+%2Bmesquite

• Like 1