Sign in to follow this  
azsagebrush

Camera thieves SUCK!

i have felt very lucky, until yesterday. over the last 2 years my son and i have hung our cameras in a lot of different areas and yesterday a THIEF stole 1 of our cameras.

we usually put them up on sunday evenings and take them down on thursday evenings, and we have had very good luck running this schedule. we were busy with work and didn't make it out to saturday afternoon. my son said that the dirty bast***s tried to cut the cable with no luck so they busted the plastic bracket. he also saitd that they left their package for their new bolt cutters laying on the ground next to the tree.

live and learn, i guess that is the price you pay when you live in unit 9.

Azsagebrush

:angry: Sorry to hear that

Did your son bring the package back?

Maybe the cops could get some prints off it

Or check store records for recent sales.

I don't know how people like that can sleep at night :(

mike

That does suck....either they were out stealing more than yers, with new bolt cutters, or they knew yers was there.

Try putting it up in a treee about 15 feet, they will have to either climb the tree or bring a ladder. Most times, it isn't seen though.

dang! Sorry to hear that. :angry: Wouldn't ya just love to walk up on someone doin' that to your Cam???? That might get bloody...... :angry:

Was this camera on water? I want to put one up, but I'm leary. 200$ is alot to stick out in the woods, where by law it can be taken if on public prop.

Unfortunatly the days of setting trailcameras out on water are long gone. Not only are hunters going out to check water holes for tracks, but I believe they are also checking them out for cameras. DO NOT leave your cameras on water or they will get stolen. Sorry but that's just the way it is. If they can't steal it they will bust it up.

Was this camera on water? I want to put one up, but I'm leary. 200$ is alot to stick out in the woods, where by law it can be taken if on public prop.

I don't think that is the law. This is my understanding from what I was told, but I'm not 100% sure. The police told me that the law states that anything valued at over $100 dollars and found must be reported and turned over. Then a lost and found period awaits a claimer, and if it is not claimed I believe you will then be returned what you found. It cannot be kept or it is stealing.

That is very unfortunate. I am heading up to your home unit this week to do some scouting. I guess I will have to be pretty sneaky on any camera placement if I use them up there.

The fact they have bolt cutter means they are probably stealing tree stands as well.

That is very unfortunate. I am heading up to your home unit this week to do some scouting. I guess I will have to be pretty sneaky on any camera placement if I use them up there.

The fact they have bolt cutter means they are probably stealing tree stands as well.

It would be nice to put up another little cheap one in the same place and have another one watching it from a remotely hidden spot to see if someone recognizes him and post his pic here on the site.

I have been playing with the idea of a second camera for a while now.

I do have engraved on my camera

" hope you found the second one that took your picture"

And my name

That sucks sooo bad! :angry: It sounds like they bought the cutters just for your camera being that they opened it when they were at your camera. Likely they saw your camera and then went to the nearest store that sold bolt cutters and then went straight back out to your camera to do the deed. I would check the nearest stores for sales of bolt cutters around that time! You have the brand name of the cutters. Is there a price sticker that tells the name of the store or anything like that on the package. Did they leave boot or tire tracks. I'v found many a person and thieves by the tire and boot track. I'm sure they will be out in that area again and likely have a tag for something. I used to work at a tire store back in the day and had many tire patterns memorized. Police used to come to the store to get the owner and sometimes us to tag along to go identify tire tracks. It was a small town and the tacktic would pritty much catch anyone and everyone that was local or somewhat local. Since your theives will likely be in the area for scouting you might be able to identify there truck. You could talk to them on the road and let them know that there is a large camera thieve investigation going on in the area by local authorities and they are looking for a truck just like theirs. It might scare them some. <_< Is there finger prints on the package they left behind? Theives are not smart. Might want to tell the stores to keep an eye out for bolt cutter buyers in the future!

Dadgumit, theives make me mad! :angry: You just want me to find them for you? ;) I once tracked two punks accross the navajo rez with a 30-06 slung over my shoulder and a 3 1/2" mag Mosberg in hand! The police told me they couldn't fallow them onto the rez and I told them "BS that they had stole a truck full of guns and I had a truck full of guns and was going after them!" :angry: (one of the guns they had was mine and I was not about to let them shoot at me with my own gun!) That got things all in an uproar and everyones panties in a wad ;) Long storry short the trail ended when the theives ran a red light in Scotsdale and bashed a family of four on Thanksgiving day sending the whole family to the critical care :angry: The now drunk theves then got out of my Brother in laws trashed truck and ran off! <_< The one that was running through the streets of Scotsdale with my rifle in hand was hard to miss and was cought. He got many years in prison but I still haven't got my gun back! They know who the other one that got away is because I tracked them to his house on the rez. He was no longer there at the time I arrived and his mother wouldn't come out or even acknowledge she was there do to my heavy fire power at the front door was likely scaring her :unsure: She put two and two together and called the cops on her son in hopes I would not return. :rolleyes:

Anyway, sorry to take up so much of your post. Sorry about your camera. It reminds me I had better go pick up a couple of mine.

Lance

GRRR! Everytime I hear about another camera popping up missing it ticks me off. I've got a couple out that need to be checked up on. Hopefully they are still there!

Whoever took it must have really wanted it to have gone and bought bolt cutters...

What does everyone think the main reason people steal or damage cameras? Someone wants what they don't have; infringement on 'their' hunting area; think they are 'unethical'???

I'm assuming most of the thieves are fellow 'hunters'. That gives me a big warm fuzzy. :blink: :angry:

I've come across several treestands and a couple of cameras while I've been out in the hills. The thought of taking them never occurred to me. Making a funny face for the camera maybe, but not stealing it... :ph34r:

For the price of the bolt cutters and the gas they burned, they could have bought their own brand new camera.

They are just a bunch of losers. Thieves I can not stand. :angry: :angry:

I have some cameras out and sure hope they are there. :unsure: