Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Scouting in unit 8 archery bull

My family and I are headed up to 8 for three days this weekend. I am looking for best set ups for my fourteen year old daughter rather than what could be the best areas. We will hunt water and try calling, but the water holes that I would choose for her need to be smaller in diameter and have adequate cover to build a blind around fairly close to the water. I want her set up to be 20 to 25 yards.

If anyone can think of some mudholes or smaller tanks this would be great advice for me to get started wilth. Trick tanks would probalbly be the way to go for her, the shot could be more isolated. Shes been shooting daily and I'm very proud of her overall effort and entusiasm. Can't wait till Friday!!!!

Good luck to all the tag holders this year, I can't wait for the sucussful hunters to post pics.

1st of all, give her a big congrats on a fantastic tag.

Buy beg or borrow a blind. Elk dont pay attention to them if you brush them in, and they will contain yer scent. Also, they will help with the amount of movement a teen can and will make. You can whisper and not be heard.

They are easily moved from one place to another and you dont have to spend time setting a permanent blind up.

In fact, if you dont have one, I will loan you one of mine.

Look over some maps and select several places.......everything changes on opening day. You might think u have a great place and then, when you drive in, there might be 4 trucks parked where you plan to hunt.

I dont want you to tell you how to have her practice, but have her run 100 yards then shoot. This will simulate what her excitement will do to her when that bull comes in.

This is her first elk tag and she's really exicited about the hunt. I'm sure I'll end up driving a lot of the unit and probably find some set ups I will be quite happy with. I do have two different blinds, thank you for the generous off though.

Well. I also think that if you can find a well used wallo the week before the hunt you might try setting your daughter up on that, and have a closer shot. Best of luck.

start looking for fresh rubs, and fresh tracks in the mud, get the general area picked out by fresh sign. And then find a good trail or two.

Then when the hunt day comes, it should be much easier to find the animals.

Good luck and Congrats!