Sign in to follow this  
huntscout

Scout Cameras for Coues?

Can anyone recommend a good scout camera for Arizona? I have used the Buckshot Tracker over the last year and it doesn't seem to work to well in the heat.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.......

I have used Trailmaster cameras for work (I'm a biologist) and didn't have any trouble with them due to heat. I did have trouble with the wires that connect the unit getting chewed up by rodents. Some people get around that problem by putting the wire in a little bit of tubing (like PVC).

I know other wildlife professionals that have used the Camtrakker and say it's excellent. They use it in the heat of southern AZ and have no problems. That unit has the advantage of being a self contained unit so that no wires get chewed up. Camtrakker also has a digital model. Has anyone used that one? I would love to use a digital remote camera, but don't know of anyone who has used one. I guess they have gotten it so the batteries last much longer now and aren't a big problem. Anyone have experience with any digital remote camera?

A friend of mine is looking to get one for a wildlife project and has heard there is a good camera that is cheaper than camtrakker, but hasn't gotten the model yet. If I find out that one, I will let you know.

Amanda

Guest Guest

I love the idea of digital cameras, but I am waiting for them to come down in price. I hate the idea of leaving a $550+ piece of equipment out there. Too bad they don't sell insurance for those things......

Does the Trailmaster work with just an open beam for the sensor or does it require you to set up a reflector on the other end? Do you know if you can use any type of camera or do you have to use the one they sell as an accessory?

Anyone use Scout Cameras to scout for Coues? I have a friend that arrows a Coues deer every year in unit 27 out of treestands. Thought I might set a couple of cameras up in his stomping ground......

Trailmaster cameras have both kinds of set-ups - one is a two piece unit and one is a single unit. The two piece system allows you to be more selective with your target because you can adjust the height of the narrow beam. The one piece unit has a wide beam that catches most anything that moves in front of the camera.

I believe you have to use the camera that comes with the Trailmaster system. They have it rigged to match their cables.

Jesse's Hunting Page has some excellent info on game cameras, including how to build your own. You can check out that info at Jesse's Hunting Page Camera info

Amanda