Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

1st yellowtail

SunDevil, where were you launching from? I launch from Cholla Bay, there was a boat from Puerto Lobos in Penasco in January that had a load of Yellowtail, but I have yet to hit any from Cholla. Headed down this Thursday and hope to hit a couple Gulf or white's... just had fish tacos, and the freezer is getting lean. Good job with taking the daughter fishing, mine graduates from college in May, we have fished the Sea ofCortez, off of Cabo, and Costa Rica together as well as many fresh water lakes. She has more patience than most guys I know,. I had to buy her bonus points for the elk and antelope draw since her vacation policy is unclear with her new job. She is sitting on 15 bpts for goat and 7 for elk.... soon to be more, and hopefully next year. Who says you need a boy to hunt and fish with?

Here's to tight lines!

• Like 1

They launch in Lobos just like they in Cholla. I have not heard of people catching YT out of Cholla. What I like about Lobos is you can catch big YT within a few hundred yards of shore in 30 feet of water. The farthest reef I fish is 4 miles from shore

post-268-0-91894200-1459054173_thumb.jpg

3 weeks ago a guy trailered his boat down from RP and went out fishing. Within a couple hours he had caught a 5 foot mako and was on his way back to RP. We are going back down on Wed for 5 days. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

SunDevil, how dependable is the launcher guy down there? I had heard sometimes he shows, sometimes not. We have talked about pulling the boats down from Cholla for the day, but i dont want to subject my 2500 to salt water if its a no show day. My neighbor launched his own 18 when they couldnt find a launcher, but I respect my truck more than he does I guess. How is the road going down there? I would guess I would have to go down through Caborca? Gotta check a map.

The road is good. You do not go all the way to Caborca. You take the rd to Desemboque. The last 2 miles is dirt. Arturo is very dependable. We missed out on fishing 1 day last year because he was rebuilding the tranny and drive shaft. It actually took him a week. They have a cell tower in town. When you are ready to come in you just call him on the phone. His son is also back from college now and works with his dad. Between the two of them there is very little wait to get launched or retrieved.