matthewp45

Antelope Hunt

I went out for opening weekend of my 19A Antelope hunt and man was it an adventure. Saw an absolute ton of Antelope. I had previously sat out a blind and Thursday we watched it all day with not one animal coming in. I spent the whole hunt spot and stalk and man was it fun. Opening morning I got between a buck and his does and got an 80 yard shot about 3 inches high. That afternoon I had another buck spot me and run straight at me from about 300 yards. He stopped at sixty and bolted when I drew. Saturday morning I belly crawled to within 69 yards of a real nice buck bedded. I waited 30 minutes for him to stand and even got to range him, drew and shoot 1 inch low. Stalked another buck an hour later got to 80 yards and got busted. Yesterday evening I was using the decoy and stalked up to 3 bucks and a doe. I was 150 yards and could not get any closer as the doe had me. All of the sudden two of the bucks started fighting and the bigger one won the fight. Well after the fight he decided to chase the doe. They ran a complete circle around me at about 50 mph getting to within 20 yards and stopping out at what I thought was 65 yards. I let one fly and he was actually 58 yards. 1 inch high. I had an unbelievable first weekend and walked my butt off, if I could judge distance and shoot that would have made it better but I guess that is bow hunting. I will keep you posted if I get to go back.

sounds like you had fun, but something bothers me about you statements of missing by an inch or three. if you miss the whole animal by an 1 inch high that means you missed the lungs/hart by at least 6 inches (more like 8) and 7 yard difference in yardage shouldn't equal that big of a miss.

I don't know what kind of bow you are shooting but 7 yard difference is that big of a miss and that is it. Especially at longer distances. If you haven't notice on your bow the farther you go down on your pins the farther they are apart. Second at 70 yards your pin takes up a lot of the animal and you would definetly miss by at 8 inches with a seven yard difference. I am so glad we have matlock the bow detective on here figuring out and spoiling everyones hunt stories. This makes me want to delete this post and never report a hunt again. Thanks for being an a##h###.

Matthew, sounds like you had a fantastic time. Great job sneaking up so close on the bucks. I bet when those two started fighting, your heart was pumping madly. Hope you get one next time out............Allen Taylor............

Thanks, it was a great time and a great learning experience. I had a friend of mine glassing for me so that helped out tremendously. I hope to go back and get another chance.

great story before someone tried to screw it up. However I still enjoyed and wish you lot's of luck. Keep doing what your doing and your next post should include some pictures.

I had that tag a few years ago. One of the funnest and most frustrating hunts ever.

The best area for stalking them was on the far east side of the ranch, where there are some deep washes and cedar trees. Not as many goats, but more stalking cover. There is a road where the powerlines cross the road to Mingus Mnt / Jerome, you can take that road back there and save some walking time.

Good Luck!

That is where we parked every morning was off of the powerline road. I would hunt from there to as far as 4 miles to the west and then go north and south. There is definetly more cover up in that area. I agree with most fun and frustrating hunts big time.

I had belly crawled through some chest high grass towards one nice goat that had a lone doe coralled at a fence corner. He would chase her a 100 yards or so down the fence line and then back to the corner. When they went down the fence, I would crawl as fast as I could toward the corner.

After about 3 of these manuvers, I had closed to 80 yards or so. I thought, ok, one more time and I'll be 50 yards out and have a shot.

They went down the fence, I started crawling. I had crawled about 10 yards when a big *** rattle snake stuck his face 6 inches from my nose and let out a hiss.

Needless to say, the goats were running away when they heard the girlish screams and probably winded my soiled undergarments.

That's funny DB :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I had that tag I saw all sorts of snakes. At one point I was hunting with my friend stuffy and as we were

walking by a bush a big ole rattler scared the crap out of us. At that point Stuff said that I should try out my brand new snake boots I was wearing :blink: :blink: (that didn't happen) :angry:

So I sat down and was taking off the boots and he asked what I was doing and I told him he could wear my boots

and give it a try. :lol: :lol: (that didn't happen either) :lol:

That's funny DB :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I had that tag I saw all sorts of snakes. At one point I was hunting with my friend stuffy and as we were

walking by a bush a big ole rattler scared the crap out of us. At that point Stuff said that I should try out my brand new snake boots I was wearing :blink: :blink: (that didn't happen) :angry:

So I sat down and was taking off the boots and he asked what I was doing and I told him he could wear my boots

and give it a try. :lol: :lol: (that didn't happen either) :lol:

Somebody has to try. We need to know if those boots really work.

Bob

Matt, great story, you're getting me all excited for my archery lope hunt later this month! Get back out there and tag a buck! That's an exciting hunt, I had the same early hunt last year but ate tag soup. I know what you mean by a near miss, only a slight movement is quite a few inches. I had five near misses last year, but they were jumping the string at long range and by the time the arrow got there the antelope wasn't there any longer! And I'm chronoed at 305 fps! I was using my laser rangefinder though, which took a couple extra seconds and movement, but there's no way I can judge much past 45 yards with my naked eyes, especially in those open flats. Hopefully I'll tag one and have a story later this month, my lope hunt opens the 24th and I can't wait.

Good luck on your hunt hopefully you will tag a big ole goat. I did not see one snake in all the miles I walked and crawled. I was thinking about them the whole time and I'm sure my little girlie scream would have been heard all the way to Prescott Valley if I had.