Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Pertinent Trivia Question #5

#4. Not Ben or Byron, but Sam. I work for the only golf manufacturer in Phx, so this hits home for me and I know a bit about golf (and hunting!).

Yup, #4 was indeed Slammin' Sammy Snead. Guess you work for Ping, huh?

And....so far the other correct asnwer, which Amanda posted first, is Edward Abbey for #2. The quote was from his A Voice Crying in the Wilderness.

Four more to go folks!!

A couple of clues:

1. Noted gunsmith/writer and world-wide big-game hunter now dead

3. Author and naturalist

5. Writer of noted classics. His life spanned the 19th & 20th century

6. Wrote several well-known fictional novels, including one popular with kids. His life also spanned the 19th & 20th century

-TONY

No silly it's mine. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually, it's a big NO on both counts. :rolleyes: -TONY

Tony,

How do you know I didn't say # 1 :(

Perhaps you did, but you're not "noted."

Obviously, you're not dead either. :rolleyes: -TONY

These are gonna be the last ones, and they're toughies. Me think the only ones who might guess them are the cheaters amongst you that might have already seen them thru a google. :lol:

Each one is from a different person. Use the #s for your guesses. Have fun. ;) -TONY

1. "The true trophy hunter is a self-disciplined perfectionist seeking a single animal, the ancient patriarch well past his prime that is often an outcast from his own kind... If successful, he will enshrine the trophy in a place of honor. This is a more noble and fitting end than dying on some lost and lonely ledge where the scavengers will pick his bones, and his magnificent horns will weather away and be lost forever."

2. "Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and esthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."

3. "I saw a guide-post surmounted by a pair of moose horns.... They are sometimes used for ornamental hat-trees, together with deer’s horns, in front entries; but ... I trust that I shall have a better excuse for killing a moose than that I may hang my hat on his horns."

4. "The only reason I ever played golf in the first place was so I could afford to hunt and fish."

5. "The flesh is sweeter, where the creature has some chance for its life; for that reason, I always use a single ball, even if it be at a bird or a squirrel; besides, it saves lead, for, when a body knows how to shoot, one piece of lead is enough for all, except hard-lived animals."

6. "There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast."

Jack London

Ralph Waldo Emmerson #3

Samuel Clemons

I can't think of who the first one might be, the gunsmith part is throwing me off, maybe John Browning

These are gonna be the last ones, and they're toughies. Me think the only ones who might guess them are the cheaters amongst you that might have already seen them thru a google. :lol:

Each one is from a different person. Use the #s for your guesses. Have fun. ;) -TONY

1. "The true trophy hunter is a self-disciplined perfectionist seeking a single animal, the ancient patriarch well past his prime that is often an outcast from his own kind... If successful, he will enshrine the trophy in a place of honor. This is a more noble and fitting end than dying on some lost and lonely ledge where the scavengers will pick his bones, and his magnificent horns will weather away and be lost forever."

2. "Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and esthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."

3. "I saw a guide-post surmounted by a pair of moose horns.... They are sometimes used for ornamental hat-trees, together with deer’s horns, in front entries; but ... I trust that I shall have a better excuse for killing a moose than that I may hang my hat on his horns."

4. "The only reason I ever played golf in the first place was so I could afford to hunt and fish."

5. "The flesh is sweeter, where the creature has some chance for its life; for that reason, I always use a single ball, even if it be at a bird or a squirrel; besides, it saves lead, for, when a body knows how to shoot, one piece of lead is enough for all, except hard-lived animals."

6. "There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast."

Jack London

Ralph Waldo Emmerson #3

Samuel Clemons

I can't think of who the first one might be, the gunsmith part is throwing me off, maybe John Browning

Keith,

Not sure which name you meant to link to which quote, but none of your guesses match any of the ones still unanswered. ;) -TONY

Henry David Thoreau #3

Samuel Colt #1

Edgar Allen Poe #5

J.D. Salinger #6

I will keep guessing, am I getting close.

I am guessing #1 is probably one that we all should or will know once the answer is given.

I am definately guessing, I almost picked Thoreau when I picked Emmerson, any more clues on the others. Are any or all of them Americans.

Numbers five and six are very intriguing to me since I read all the time, I should know them. One of them isn't Charles Dickens is it.

I am definately guessing, I almost picked Thoreau when I picked Emmerson, any more clues on the others. Are any or all of them Americans.

Numbers five and six are very intriguing to me since I read all the time, I should know them. One of them isn't Charles Dickens is it.

And me thinks you're funning us, Keith. <_<

#6 -- "There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast."

CHARLES DICKENS, Oliver Twist

And yes, the other two are both Amreicans. -TONY

Tony they are definately guesses and no I wouldn't cheat, when you get this many chances you are bound to get them correct eventually.

I am going by your clues and not by the quotes, the quotes I have never heard until now, and if I did they weren't remembered.

My son has football practice so I will be thinking of more American authors, and a gunsmith to add. Is the author and gunsmith someone from outdoor life, I can't think of names right now, but questions with no answers drive me nuts.

Tony when I thought of dickens I thought of A Christmas Carol

Tony when I thought of dickens I thought of A Christmas Carol

That was part of my clue. ;)

"Wrote several well-known fictional novels, including one popular with kids."

Far as I know, the gunsmith, who was more famous for his hunting exploits, was never associated with OL, other than to perhaps pen several articles as a freelancer. -TONY

#4. Not Ben or Byron, but Sam. I work for the only golf manufacturer in Phx, so this hits home for me and I know a bit about golf (and hunting!).

Yup, #4 was indeed Slammin' Sammy Snead. Guess you work for Ping, huh?

And....so far the other correct asnwer, which Amanda posted first, is Edward Abbey for #2. The quote was from his A Voice Crying in the Wilderness.

Four more to go folks!!

A couple of clues:

1. Noted gunsmith/writer and world-wide big-game hunter now dead

3. Author and naturalist

5. Writer of noted classics. His life spanned the 19th & 20th century

6. Wrote several well-known fictional novels, including one popular with kids. His life also spanned the 19th & 20th century

-TONY

More authors for you, Fred Gipson or Stephen Crane, Old Yeller and The Red Badge Of Courage are classics, I just don't know if they hunted. The hunter/writer/gunsmith is killing me, once you give us the answer on that one I will have to read at least one of his books, just so I won't forget, and if I already have I am not going to be happy with my guesses so far, any more hints on any of them would be appreciated. I don't know if you can tell but I really enjoy these questions.