teej89

New from OH, soon to be AZ

You guys are going to love it here! Arizona is, in my opinion, the greatest and most beautiful state in the union. Amazing lakes, rivers and an incredible amount of diversity in the landscape. Not to mention the amazing views the mountains provide. Phoenix isn't much of an amazing city, and Tucson is the WORST ;-) but if you get outside as you likely will as a hunter you will see nothing but beauty. Personally, I could never live anywhere other than the western states of WY, MT, ID, CO, UT, AZ, WA, OR or NM. I also hunt regulary up in WY and love it there, but you can't beat what we have going here in Arizona.

Does the GF like to hunt too? Let me know if you want to grab a beer once you guys get down. All of my hunting buddies have moved away to OR, WY, WA and CO, so the last couple seasons have been solo trips. My wife used to be my huntin buddy, but with the recent addition of a baby she hasn't been able to head out. I will be picking up a new pup in the next couple months, and will also be looking to train him to hunt with me.

Unfortunately she doesn't dabble into hunting, she won't even let me killing milipedes or spiders in the apartment her quote is "it's not their fault they're scary and that's *insert a human name* btw"

What kind of pup are you getting/training it for? If it's for retrieving, if you need any puppy starter videos I have a couple good ones and a digital copy for advanced retriever training with Lardy.

I'm hoping I can find some retriever clubs in the area to join up with them.

My worst memory was in 1997, I went to the Rose Bowl to watch ASU play OSU, you all know the outcome. Thankfully I don't root for ASU any more but I am quite fond of the OSU head coach Urban Meyer. I got to meet him while playing baseball at the University of Utah and watched him lead MY UTES to 2 BCS games: a crushing of Alabama and then the next year the same thing against Pittsburgh. Those 2 BCS games are more than both ASU and UofA has combined.

You guys are going to love it here! Arizona is, in my opinion, the greatest and most beautiful state in the union. Amazing lakes, rivers and an incredible amount of diversity in the landscape. Not to mention the amazing views the mountains provide. Phoenix isn't much of an amazing city, and Tucson is the WORST ;-) but if you get outside as you likely will as a hunter you will see nothing but beauty. Personally, I could never live anywhere other than the western states of WY, MT, ID, CO, UT, AZ, WA, OR or NM. I also hunt regulary up in WY and love it there, but you can't beat what we have going here in Arizona.

Does the GF like to hunt too? Let me know if you want to grab a beer once you guys get down. All of my hunting buddies have moved away to OR, WY, WA and CO, so the last couple seasons have been solo trips. My wife used to be my huntin buddy, but with the recent addition of a baby she hasn't been able to head out. I will be picking up a new pup in the next couple months, and will also be looking to train him to hunt with me.

Unfortunately she doesn't dabble into hunting, she won't even let me killing milipedes or spiders in the apartment her quote is "it's not their fault they're scary and that's *insert a human name* btw"

What kind of pup are you getting/training it for? If it's for retrieving, if you need any puppy starter videos I have a couple good ones and a digital copy for advanced retriever training with Lardy.

Bummer she doesn't hunt! Hopefully she's at least cool with you heading out. Always feel bad for the dudes I meet at work whose wives/gf's get pissed when they go out and hunt.

I am looking to get a German Shorthaired Pointer. Looking at various breeders that are expecting a litter in the next couple months, so 8 weeks after that I will have my little buddy. Hoping around mid-September. The pup will mainly be for Quail, Dove, Pheasant, Waterfowl and Chukar here in Arizona. Will also take him up to WY with me for Grouse and Waterfowl as well. Planning to teach him how to point, flush and retrieve. Basically expecting it do everything :ph34r: How did you like the Lardy videos? I am debating between Mike Lardy and Evan Graham. You should have no problem finding a club here for your retriever. I am planning on joining one as well with my GSP once I get it. Main focus will be on getting him out in the field though.

Have you started learning all the hunting units and species yet? If you would like, I have something I put together I can email you. It basically overlays the areas where species live in the state on top of a Game Unit Map. PM me your email if you'd like, I'll shoot it over. I would also recommend looking into Flatline Maps. Best maps I have ever used.

Bummer she doesn't hunt! Hopefully she's at least cool with you heading out. Always feel bad for the dudes I meet at work whose wives/gf's get pissed when they go out and hunt.

I am looking to get a German Shorthaired Pointer. Looking at various breeders that are expecting a litter in the next couple months, so 8 weeks after that I will have my little buddy. Hoping around mid-September. The pup will mainly be for Quail, Dove, Pheasant, Waterfowl and Chukar here in Arizona. Will also take him up to WY with me for Grouse and Waterfowl as well. Planning to teach him how to point, flush and retrieve. Basically expecting it do everything :ph34r: How did you like the Lardy videos? I am debating between Mike Lardy and Evan Graham. You should have no problem finding a club here for your retriever. I am planning on joining one as well with my GSP once I get it. Main focus will be on getting him out in the field though.

Have you started learning all the hunting units and species yet? If you would like, I have something I put together I can email you. It basically overlays the areas where species live in the state on top of a Game Unit Map. PM me your email if you'd like, I'll shoot it over. I would also recommend looking into Flatline Maps. Best maps I have ever used.

We're both pretty big into fitness and she just ate venison for the first time when we started dating and she's hooked, she loves the taste and the fact that it's as natural of meat as you'll get. With that being said... she said she wants me to get enough game for us to be sustained on it all year round, I didn't argue with that lol so she has no problem that in a 4 week span this fall I'll be in Wyoming for 8 days and Colorado for 9.

As far as lardy goes... I'm kind of biased due to that's what everyone bases their program off of at my club and the pro I sent my pup to, that's his program as well. The flow chart once you get into TRT is black and white, super easy to follow, and me being an engineer, I don't need gray or I'll overthink it lol I started Boomer off on Hillman thru 16 or 20 weeks and then I transitioned into Lardy. But I have the Hillman tapes, jackie merten (sound beginnings to retriever training, it was okay tho), and a digital of lardy TRT if you're ever interested.